Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 3494 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Smoke
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:38:15 pm »
I just learned something about smoke and bees that I didn't know.
I ran out of stored pine needles and went out to collect some. I found a bunch of cut branches and took the needles off. They were all dead but very wet form all the rain we have been having. I lit some in the bottom of the smoker and I was able really pack them tight because they were soft. I could not get any really thick smoke going but used it any way.
The smoke was so thin that it had very little effect on the bees. After getting my hands stung up real bad, I rebuilt the smoker and got it smoking real well. I went back in the same hive with no trouble. Real soft needles pack too tightly to work properly.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Smoke
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:44:01 pm »
I bag my pine needles and put them away until the following year, that way I know they are dry.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:15:27 pm »
Wish I had some pine trees nearby ...

What I have got is more than my fair share of 30ft Leylandii hedging, and I've discovered that their branches - if cut off and allowed to dry brown, and then stripped - make for a pretty good substitute.  I layer this with sawdust and pop in a pellet of bees-wax for good measure which ensures that the smoker never goes out.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:14:55 pm »
I've got a pine tree that is next to a little used asphalt road/driveway.  Makes for easy raking when it drops its needles.  I got a full trash can in the shed from last year that I haven't gotten into yet.  Been using the ones from the previous year.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:30:23 pm »
I use dry pine straw and I like this ok.  I have access to an unlimited supply of pecan hulls from a commercial sheller.  I get the pine needles going and add a handful or two of pecan hulls they last a long time and smell wonderful, I have seen the smoker stay lit for over 3 hours when we didn't need it with the hulls.  I really don't use the smoker that long but some of you younger beeks might try pecan hulls.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:55:23 pm »
Paus, I talked with a chef/pitmaster here in Dallas that uses whole pecans in his smoker for brisket, etc., and says it gives great tasting meat.  Haven't had a good crop from my two trees since I talked to him, but plan to try it sometime.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:43:12 pm »
No pine near me, can't recall ever seeing any here in Thailand.
I have a big sawmill 3 minutes down the street and they have done work for me so I know the Manager.
I asked him for wood shavings, he asked, how much do you want...........ohhhhh just a 5 gallon bucket, he told me I can bring a dump truck.......for FREE.
I took a gunny sack and filled it half way.
It works great.
I start with news paper, once that gets going, put in 2 handfuls of shavings and stoke that up, then put in a few balls of rolled up unlit newspaper to act as my cooling filter, so smoke is cool and not blowing any embers.
For you guys that make your own boxes.........try shavings and sawdust.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:29:29 am »
We make our own boxes (and do other woodworking) so sawdust and shavings for me.  But that's good to know about pine needles.  If I ever run out of sawdust I have lots of pine trees.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:16:53 am »
 I have always used some pre bought stuff and grass. I have tried paper to start it before. Always had good smoke though.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:29:59 am »
I use rolled cardboard because it is very easy to light.  If I want to extend the burn time beyond 20 minutes I use sawdust on top when I first light the smoker.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:23 pm »
Ace,
Try pine needle. I can pack a smoker (with dry needles) and it can last up to 5 hours. Iddee did a Vidio at buds many years ago and it is here on Beemaster His technique works real well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 08:58:12 am »
I would if there was a good supply near my house.  The property is very wet so my forest is mainly box elder and willow sometimes covered with virginia creeper and wild grape.  We have a 6 yard dumpster that gets filled every week with cardboard so I will never run out of that supply.  The other thing is I never have a need to spend so much time in the hives.  Usually it is 10-15 minutes and then I dump the remaining fuel in a pressure cooker to snuff out the fire.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 10:00:44 am »
Thanks for the tips of pine needles. I live in the deep south. I will never run out of that. I also have a ready supply of cardboard boxes.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 01:13:28 am »
I used pine needles today, thickest smoke ever! It kept going out.  What's your trick for keeping it lit?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 07:53:21 am »
I used pine needles today, thickest smoke ever! It kept going out.  What's your trick for keeping it lit?

TY,
The tricks are to roll up a small handful of needles, light them and put them in the smoker while puffing them to keep them lit. Puff them until they are well lit. Then take a thick handful and roll them up tight and stuff them in while puffing to keep the fire going. Slowly push them down. If there is still room add more. The idea is to pack the needles so tight that they make a coal. The heat will keep the air flowing due to chimney effect.
It the needles are dry, the smoker will  stay lit for hours. It will also provide cool smoke because the unlit needles cool it. Always light it from the bottom, never the top.  If you llight it from the top, you are making a nice flame thrower.
In a couple of hours, you will need to push the needles down to keep it packed tight.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 09:55:54 pm »
We have cattle, so I just steal some of there hay and use it. It seems to work real good. I can pack it in there pretty tight and it'll stay lit plenty long enough for me.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 05:02:58 am »
We have cattle, so I just steal some of there hay and use it. It seems to work real good. I can pack it in there pretty tight and it'll stay lit plenty long enough for me.

When I started the first sentence.........I thought it was leading to you burning cow patties.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 09:39:54 am »
I have tried them? I used to use them when I could not keep a smoker burning very long. A little bit burns a long time.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 03:53:22 am »
When I started the first sentence.........I thought it was leading to you burning cow patties.

I do, cattle tend to like camping in the pine needles under trees, when I rake it up I get a bit of manure along with the needles

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 08:17:55 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I think I just didn't have enough needles in there.  The smoke was fantastic, just didn't last.