Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybees and Sunflowers  (Read 6125 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Honeybees and Sunflowers
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:00 am »
I think mine are mutts now

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
I too am in the southeast USA, have sunflowers,  and the bees ignore them. But I like them!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 11:44:08 pm »
Thanks Bill.
We have sunflowers here in my wife's garden. One is about 11" in diameter. I have not seen any bees on it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 08:12:12 am »
             I did know a beekeeping from Sorth Dakota USA. Now is retired from keeping bees. Puting bees on sunflower would be his last resort.. The honey was dark and it did crystallized fast I'm talking like 5 days or less after being  capped. No not all some flowers I create equal. Some are great sources of nectar While others are great sources of pollen. And somewhere more like dual purpose. Farmers do plant hundreds of Acres of a sunflower in South Dakota..  From what my friend said about sunflower.. Sunflowers have very little value for a honey producer..

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
             I did know a beekeeping from Sorth Dakota USA. Now is retired from keeping bees. Puting bees on sunflower would be his last resort.. The honey was dark and it did crystallized fast I'm talking like 5 days or less after being  capped. No not all some flowers I create equal. Some are great sources of nectar While others are great sources of pollen. And somewhere more like dual purpose. Farmers do plant hundreds of Acres of a sunflower in South Dakota..  From what my friend said about sunflower.. Sunflowers have very little value for a honey producer..

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:

If we knew the right varieties that are dual purpose they could serve a great purpose for me. I could plant a lot of them to help lessen our coming dearth.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
I just looked at sunflowers, Bumble bees no honey bees.  The ladies are bring pollen and nectar, no idea from what source.  I did a lot of reading on the best variety of sunflower and "Lemon Queen" was the best according to those that had tried different varieties  Lemon queen is NOT a hybred.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »
THanks. I might plant a lot of Lemon Queens then