Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beesuit zippers  (Read 1161 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Beesuit zippers
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:58:07 am »
I'm in the market for a beesuit. I've bought quite a number off ebay in the past, and they often break too soon, especially the zippers.

Now I'm seeking to spend more money to acquire something that will actually last longer than a year. I'm paying close attention to the zippers, since they're the weak part of the suit.

I've read lots of good things about Ultrabreeze suits; they have a strong, brass zipper that's very appealing, but the suit is shockingly expensive and seems to have issues shipping internationally.

Now I've found a number of I suppose more midrange suits, that have a plastic YKK zipper, which are being advertised as a quality, durable zipper; I've done my research and spoken to a person who's knowledgeable about zippers, and such has indicated that the YKK zippers are indeed quality and strong.

Now my knowledgeable friend told me that I'm best to stick with a metal zipper, as they're simply much stronger than the plastic ones, but I'm having difficulties finding suits with a metal zipper.

Does anyone have any experience with these plastic YKK zippers? Should I stick to purchasing exclusively suits with metal zippers?

In case it's of interest, the suit that I'm considering purchasing, with the alleged strong, plastic YKK zipper, is here:

http://www.beekeepinggear.com.au/product-page/beekeeping-suit-oz-armour-ventilated-double-layers-super-cool

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Beesuit zippers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:35:13 am »
Try getting in touch with Trev at "Trev's bees", in New Zealand.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:21 am »
Get an Ultra Breeze suit. Zipper is metal and durable and I have never taken a sting through the suit.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
B Wallace is right I love mine

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:22:44 am »
I like my Mann Lake suit. I think you can order them.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin