Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double wide comb  (Read 1691 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
Double wide comb
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:31:18 am »
Hi,

I have two different hives that are building double comb on a couple of different frames.  The spacing is normal on a ten frame deep.  They built out comb on the frame like normal, then have a small spacing then built comb again attached to the first layer on the frame.  This is the first time I ever seen them doing double comb on a frame.

Thoughts?

tazz

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: Double wide comb
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:07:41 am »
Thoughts ?  Yes - you have a HUGE problem there in the making - because - you won't ever be able to inspect between those combs ... and any combs drawn next to those 'doubles' are almost guaranteed to be 'wonky'.

You say the spacing is 'normal' - I'm not sure what you mean by that.  It strongly suggests to me that your spacing is far too wide for the bees you have.  I'd suggest you cut out the 'double comb', tighten-up the spacing, and insert a dummy board into any space left at the side of the box.
'best
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:15:39 am »
Are you doing foundationless?  Slice off the second layer and rubber band it in the next frame.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:16 am »
We have them build a comb with a bees space against plastic foundation at times, seems to happen more when there is no honey flow.
This is at normal spacing and the new comb is fairly thin.
On plastic foundation shake all the bees off and out of space then trowel all the comb and honey back onto the plastic let them start again.
On wax foundation, flick the new comb off and push the frames tighter together with spare space left against the box walls, they seem to come good.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:24:28 am »
I'm a bit concerned about this use of the term 'normal spacing', as if such a measurement actually existed ...

The spacing between frames varies according to the brood comb cell size, and thus the size of the bees raised within them.  So - bees of a 'natural' size (4.9 mm -ish) attempt to draw their brood combs at a spacing of around 32-34 mm., whereas large-cell bees (5.4 mm -ish) will try to draw combs at anywhere between 35 and 38 mm.  If you deviate significantly from those spacings, then you WILL experience problems, as this isn't a "one-size fits all" situation.

A few millimetres here or there may not seem very critical to us giant-sized humans, but to insects that are themselves only a few millimetres in size, it's an enormous issue.
LJ

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:04:57 am »
I opened a hive yesterday from a young swarm. On one frame there was a double comb  because I had missed putting the guide in this frame only.  They built from both sides of the top of the frame.  Lesson learned.  All of the other frames were beautiful.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
I'm a bit concerned about this use of the term 'normal spacing', as if such a measurement actually existed ...

I took normal spacing to mean bee space so if the bees are larger the space from center to center between frames is larger.  In the supers some people remove a frame from a box when they are using drawn comb and divi up the space with the remaining combs.  The bees draw out the comb further until the same bee space is attained between frames resulting in thicker honey comb.  It makes it real easy to uncap.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:03:25 pm »
Oh, I see - 'normal' in the sense of 10 frames in a 10 frame box, as opposed to 9 frames in a 10 frame box.
LJ

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:51 pm »
Hi,

Sorry, I've been away for a bit. 

The normal spacing I am referring to is equal spacing  between frames in a 10 frame deep box.   The frames that have the double comb are on black plastic frames.

I am trying a few foundation less frames also, but so far is only one the foundation.

I will cut out the double comb the next time in the hive.

thanks,

tazz

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:02:20 am »
>The frames that have the double comb are on black plastic frames.

So they are building on the edge of the frame instead of the plastic foundation.  If that is the case, they are seeing the plastic as a wall instead of comb.  Try 'painting' some extra wax on the plastic.  I have found that it helps a lot.

anything