Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood in Honey Super  (Read 3668 times)

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
Brood in Honey Super
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:17:31 am »
I know I saw a post on this somewhere but I can no longer find it. But I have one deep and one medium. The queen has taken over the medium about 4 frames either eggs or larvae or capped brood. My question is now I need to add another box but would much rather a deep for brood. Suggestions?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Brood in Honey Super
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:12:49 pm »
Just add the deep under the medium. Sounds like you have a good queen that needs more than one deep for brood. That is not a bad thing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »
Be happy with that lady you got. Follow Jim's advice

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:18:10 pm »
Excellent! Thanks!

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »
Jim
Does the queen then form a brood pattern that occupies 4 frames in each deep or will she push out to the edges of the boxes?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:10:05 pm »
The bees decide where the queen puts the brood. They have to prep the cells for her to lay the eggs. The bees will uncap honey cells and move it to make room for brood.
What I would expect to see is the brood in the medium will hatch out and then it will be used for honey. Every hive is different. If the queen is capable of producing 3000 eggs a day then she will probably fill both deep brood boxes.
Remember, every hive has its own personality and none of them have ever read a bee book so there are no guarantees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:20:13 am »
Well today being payday we will find out. btw these girls have some great personality. They prefer no suit no gloves no smoke. when gloved they always sting the gloves.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
Remember, every hive has its own personality and none of them have ever read a bee book so there are no guarantees.
Jim

Best advice ever.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:33 am »
Well today being payday we will find out. btw these girls have some great personality. They prefer no suit no gloves no smoke. when gloved they always sting the gloves.

They probably sting the glove because the gloves have been stung before and the smell it still on them. Wash them and see if that does not help out hte problem.

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 10:55:45 am »
I didn't think about that ;) but in six weeks only two stings to the skin both my fault obviously. I can deal without the gloves.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »

No suit, fine.  No gloves, fine.  No smoke, fine.  No veil?  Dumb, imho.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:01:58 pm »

No suit, fine.  No gloves, fine.  No smoke, fine.  No veil?  Dumb, imho.
That may be so but live and learn.

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »
The bees decide where the queen puts the brood. They have to prep the cells for her to lay the eggs. The bees will uncap honey cells and move it to make room for brood.
What I would expect to see is the brood in the medium will hatch out and then it will be used for honey. Every hive is different. If the queen is capable of producing 3000 eggs a day then she will probably fill both deep brood boxes.
Jim
so picked up the deep and talked to that guy he suggested throwing it on top as next week we will have warm weather and let them draw it out a bit then swap back to the middle. Heck if I know what I am doing , I think either or at this point.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
Jason,
Being a new Beek, I would suggest that you wear a bee suit or at minimum a veil. You want to bee comfortable with your bees. I do not recommend using gloves. As you found out, you cannot feel the bees through the gloves and you end up crushing them and then they sting the gloves. The sting pheromones stay on the gloves and the next time you put the gloves in the hive they become very aggressive. Take your smoker and smoke up your hands and any exposed skin and this will greatly reduce stings. Move slowly while in the hive. They react to fast movements. 
Good luck.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 05:13:42 pm »
Back to the original question.  I would put it under the medium super.  If you put it on top it will be that much longer that the queen will be laying in the medium.  Also you wont have to swap the boxes later.

As far as wearing protection.  IMHO A veil of some sorts is mandatory(stings in the head/neck area is not pretty).  The rest is what you are comfortable with.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:05 pm »

As far as wearing protection.  IMHO A veil of some sorts is mandatory(stings in the head/neck area is not pretty).  The rest is what you are comfortable with.

Stings to the face head are really ugly, but one sting in the eye could be a disaster.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:16 am »

Stings to the face head are really ugly, but one sting in the eye could be a disaster.

I went "Commando" also.....at first. One day I had a bee fly in my mouth. It didn't sting me but startled me, causing. E to drop the frame.   
Now......most of the time wear a veil.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline JasonC

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:32:23 pm »
well I think the middle was very good advice. One note after thinking on this I had to make a call Thanks Jim! after adding 2 frames brood and eggs dead center definite improvement as there are quite a few girls in there working away.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
Glad it worked for you.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything