Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rep. Steve Scalise shot at GOP baseball practice  (Read 898 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Rep. Steve Scalise shot at GOP baseball practice
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:35 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/337717-report-shooting-near-congressional-baseball-game-practice-field

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) is in stable condition after being shot early Wednesday at a baseball practice field in a Washington D.C. suburb, according to multiple reports.

Scalise was one of several people shot at the practice in Alexandria, Va., where it is believed a single gunman fired as many as 50 shots at lawmakers and aides who scrambled for cover.

How much longer can our country tolerate this hate? It comes from both sides, we see the other as enemies, how much more dehumanization of our political opponents can we take?

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
Re: Rep. Steve Scalise shot at GOP baseball practice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »
If you compare the Tea Party movement to the Resist movement, you'll find no comparison as it relates to violence.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »
50 shots doesn't sound like a case of Democrat vs. Republican.  More like a terrorist act by some kind of nut.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »
They guy was motivated by politics. Terrorism is politically motivated.

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:26:03 pm »
They guy was motivated by politics. Terrorism is politically motivated.
Or religiously motivated.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:38 pm »
The bottom line is he is a nut with a gun.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:20:33 am »
A well educated, politically active, small business owner, who took the resist movement to his own logical conclusion. He didn't make it to 66 years of age and own his own business by being a nut.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:01 am »
Someone who takes another persons life by use of a gun when that person is not armed and has not shown any aggression is absolutely a nut case.  It doesn't matter how old they are or what they own.  A state of mind can change in a very short period of time.  One can be sane for most of their life and turn crazy overnight simply from chemical changes in the brain.
I wonder if the attitude will change for some republicans on Capital Hill for gun control due to this incident.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 10:32:11 am »
I doubt any attitudes will change in Congress but you are right that people can flip from sane to crazy fast, often because of a drastic change in life circumstances.

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 10:42:17 am »
A well educated, politically active, small business owner, who took the resist movement to his own logical conclusion. He didn't make it to 66 years of age and own his own business by being a nut.
Education and business success do not exclude mental issues. 
"Nut with a gun" is an opinion, not a fact.  That it was premeditated, attempted murder is a fact.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
Maybe the left will rethink their rhetoric.
Let me quote a former Democrat president " If they bring a knife, we'll bring a GUN"

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 02:14:31 pm »
Not when people keep getting killed for no apparent reason because of the availability of guns.  The hard right and hard left will not change their views but the middle might and that will make a difference to what happens in legislation.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 02:36:57 pm »
Not when people keep getting killed for no apparent reason because of the availability of guns.  The hard right and hard left will not change their views but the middle might and that will make a difference to what happens in legislation.
So let's say in the leftist utopia there were no guns.
Wouldn't your argumant just turn to the availability of big trucks with easy access to quiet mufflers and big engines? It's not the GUN!

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 02:54:48 pm »
""Not when people keep getting killed for no apparent reason because of the availability of guns.""

Anybody who believes the cause of murder is the availability of guns is more of a nut then any shooter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »
>Not when people keep getting killed for no apparent reason because of the availability of guns

There has never NOT been an availability of guns in this country.  As the availability of concealed carry has gone up and as gun sales have gone up in the last 20 years crime has plummeted and homicides have now hit a 50 year low.  With those facts, it is pretty difficult to come up with a rational argument that guns are causing crime when the data contradicts that completely.  It would be easy to come to the conclusion that guns are preventing crime, but we don't have enough proof of causation for that.  Though it is easy to do a thought experiment that shows that would be a logical outcome.  Law abiding citizens carrying guns is unlikely to increase crime and likely to be a disincentive for criminals and the statistics would show that as a viable theory since guns have increased and crime has decreased.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:50 am »

I doubt if hte middle changes that will change the politicians. Our districts are very polarized and the primaries are even more so. The winner of the primaries often are the pre determined winner of the general election in the vast majority of states and districts. The middle would have to get out and vote in primaries to change thing and they don't usually.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 09:25:05 am »
As far as I am concerned the primaries are a joke.  Money determines who gets on the ballot and who's turn it is within a political party.  Do you believe a vote from the middle had something to do with Trump and Hillary being on the ballot?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 10:51:54 am »
Scalise wasn't shot because of the availability of a gun, he was shot because of extremist political beliefs, which go hand-in-hand with extremist political rhetoric.
When you have multi-millionaire entertainers, news personalities (won't call them reporters) and politicians calling for violence, up to and including murder, after losing an election (even before the election), then you create the perfect conditions for a situation like the baseball practice shooting. 
It is utter insanity to continue blaming the tool, and not the tool's user!  WAke up!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 12:44:04 pm »
I don't remember any politician calling for violence or murder.  You keep harping about how it is the person and not the tool.  The whole point of restrictions is to keep the TOOL out of the persons possession.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:48 pm »
I don't remember any politician calling for violence or murder.  You keep harping about how it is the person and not the tool.  The whole point of restrictions is to keep the TOOL out of the persons possession.
How's that working out in Chicago?