Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to remove bees from property  (Read 2756 times)

Offline KTBuesa

• Brood
How to remove bees from property
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
Hello all! I'm not a beekeeper at all, I don't mind bees and do understand their purpose so I don't want to kill them or anything. I live in a rural area in Arizona and have recently set up a pool (chlorinated) and also have outdoor water troughs set up for my dogs. I would like to know your thoughts and ideas on how to keep bees away from my outdoors water areas. I have tried putting a small amount of vinegar in the troughs, that didn't help. I've tried putting up a jar of vinegar above the troughs and that didn't help. I've tried hanging a piece of meat on a tree to attract them there and didn't help. I've also tried putting out small buckets of water around the property and that didn't help either. I don't have a clue where the hive is but I know it is close and even if I did know where it was I would have no way of removing them. No one around here keeps bees and it would cost and arm and a leg to have them removed.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Re: How to remove bees from property
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:43:48 pm »

Are they Honeybees?

Unless the bees are bothering you, guests, or children.........just let them BEE, they are just drinking, they are not going to stop drinking to sting you or anyone else.

Many Beekeepers, work bees all day, with no protection.
Look on YouTube, and lookup The Fatbeeman and J P TheBeeman and look what he does barehanded and with no protection.

In Arizona, as you know, there is colonies of Africanized bees, if it was them, you would know it.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:33:20 am »
I don't have a clue where the hive is but I know it is close and even if I did know where it was I would have no way of removing them.

But if you did know where the hive was there is that possibility that you could supply a closer source of water.  Train the bees to stop there first by adding a little bee food or sugar.
Watch which way the bees go when they leave your pool.  Place the alternate source in that direction until you start picking up some foragers.  Then you can watch from there and keep moving the source until there are no bees at the pool or you find their hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:22 pm »
"In Arizona, as you know, there is colonies of Africanized bees, if it was them, you would know it."
Actually, unless you are close to the hive, there is no difference between European bees and African bees that are in the field. They are  very defensive not aggressive.
Being
Arizona, there is a good chance that they are Africanized bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:30 pm »
"In Arizona, as you know, there is colonies of Africanized bees, if it was them, you would know it."
Actually, unless you are close to the hive, there is no difference between European bees and African bees that are in the field. They are  very defensive not aggressive.
Being
Arizona, there is a good chance that they are Africanized bees.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Understand and fully agree.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.