Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The removal of confederate monuments  (Read 798 times)

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
The removal of confederate monuments
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »
First we have rewritten the history of the civil war.  Now we have removed the monuments to those who fought in it on the side of the south. 
?Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.?

― George Orwell, 1984

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
Re: The removal of confederate monuments
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »
There is a certain segment of the population, who's right to be important supercedes others right to exist.

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:51 pm »
The democrats are trying to erase their own history so that you can't see they haven't changed, except from promoting slavery to the planters to promoting slavery to the government elite.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »
The democrats are trying to erase their own history so that you can't see they haven't changed, except from promoting slavery to the planters to promoting slavery to the government elite.

Actually an intrigueing concept, Hops.
Neill

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:58:00 pm »
Fairly common for the victors to write the history...
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline MikeyN.C.

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:00 am »
You have to do alot of reading an research to get the real story.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
Healines like: "Robert E. Lee statue is final monument ?celebrating white supremacy" "

Apparently they don't know anything about Robert E. Lee...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:18:23 am »
Apparently they don't know anything about Robert E. Lee...

Agreed.
Not in the public school history books.

Online tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:37 am »
It's just sad.   :sad:

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:55:53 pm »
It is more than sad, it is wrong. And the democratic party that demanded slavery is the ones covering it up and acting like it was the Republican party's doing.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 04:05:15 pm »
> And the democratic party that demanded slavery is the ones covering it up and acting like it was the Republican party's doing.

Yes.  I find that interesting.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:51:01 am »
Lee was an honorable and tragic man. If only the world could produce more men like Lee.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:26:19 pm »
I find the whole idea of slavery abhorrent. The reason that it is abhorrent is because it denies civil rights.
So my confusion is based on the concept that if the denial of civil rights to slaves is so bad then why isn't the denial of free speech just as bad? This idea of "safe spaces" and the that there is no right to "hate speech" is just as abhorrent as slavery. What I really don't understand is how these people who think that hate speech should be banned can't believe that the only successful method to fight it is with more speech.

Then again... What do I know... I live in a state with a US senator that claims that the world is coming to an end every time the president says anything. Chuckie seems to be more up in arms over things that the president says that I agree with. I guess that sums up the reason I hate the government... I want to  live my life without interference from the government... Chuckie wants me to work for the government...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 06:10:18 pm »
One serious problem with hate speech is that it encourages or emboldens illegal harmful physical action by some, who otherwise would not take that action.  Hate speech would likely be moderated if the speaker/influencer was also charged for the physical crime under conspiracy laws.  The `hater` could still say whatever he wanted, given the freedom to speech, but pay the same penalty as the criminal actor if it could be shown that his speech/blog/book/etc. likely influenced the criminal.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 07:51:05 pm »
beecan, would you agree that the same would extend to movie producers, directors, and stars?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
beecan, would you agree that the same would extend to movie producers, directors, and stars?

Of course, but please do expand upon this question if you can.  Is it a matter of degree, maybe time since `influence` or maybe time since the hate speach occured, etc.?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 10:02:45 pm »
Alabama just made it a crime to remove Confederate monuments.. :)
-------------------

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 12:30:44 am »
Finally, a state that has the balls to stand up to this politically correct garbage. I'll bet they would not have been able to do that I Trump was not the Preston
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Online tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 12:48:24 am »
Alabama just made it a crime to remove Confederate monuments.. :)

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 02:33:07 am »
One serious problem with hate speech is that it encourages or emboldens illegal harmful physical action by some, who otherwise would not take that action.  Hate speech would likely be moderated if the speaker/influencer was also charged for the physical crime under conspiracy laws.  The `hater` could still say whatever he wanted, given the freedom to speech, but pay the same penalty as the criminal actor if it could be shown that his speech/blog/book/etc. likely influenced the criminal.  Beecan

The problem with moderators is bias.  Who decides what is hate speech and what is reasonable.  I say Brian Cardinal spews hate speech, but, he has the right to say it.  Not on a private forum, if the owners decide, but in public, whenever and wherever he chooses.  As long as he does no harm. 

The US government has no right to moderate my, or other free speech.  In Europe that is not true.  You can be silenced by the government easily for warming comments, anti-islamic comments, pro nazi comments.