Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to remove bees out of a double brick wall ...?  (Read 6652 times)

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
How to remove bees out of a double brick wall ...?
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
What would you recommend to remove a one year old colony from a two story high, double brick wall without removing the wall?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
Re: How to remove bees out of a double brick wall ...?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:12:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies . I know you can't see it in the picture but I already have a screen Funnel coming off the house.  The problem I having is, the wall is cracked in many places and somehow they're getting back in the house now. How long does this method usually take?

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:51:31 pm »
Patch up other cracks with caulk and or mortar.  So theres only one entrance and exit.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41:16 am »
Once you have it so no bees are getting back in, it will bee 3 to 4 weeks. By the second week, the SHB will start sliming the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:33 am »
That is a tough one.
What I would try first is to construct a smoldering fire in the fireplace and use a shop vac to suck the smoke from the chimney and pump it into that entrance.  If it doesn't cause them to abscond it might show you where other entrances are.  Unfortunately there might be hundreds.  Is the building wood framed or masonry?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 02:06:33 pm »
It's all masonry, the fireplace is bo longer in service and they have electric one inside of the old . The foundation on this home is old and there is cracks everywhere. A beekeeper tried to get them out last year with no success , now I'm trying or they'll kill them.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 03:52:12 pm »
It's all masonry, the fireplace is bo longer in service and they have electric one inside of the old . The foundation on this home is old and there is cracks everywhere. A beekeeper tried to get them out last year with no success , now I'm trying or they'll kill them.

If this report is half accurate just go home.. unless you want to get into a major rebuild of somebody chimney or outer wall. Or get all kinds of disclaimer forms.
        Is this even a paying job?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:28:27 pm »
 No it is not a paying job!! Just trying to help out I will not remove any bricks I was just trying to funnel them out with screen.  I was trying to save these little guys.  They want them out Dead or alive alive

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:04:53 am »
It's all masonry, the fireplace is bo longer in service and they have electric one inside of the old .

You can create the same smoke generator with a gas or charcoal grill.  You need a lot of smoke and it needs to be pumped in under pressure.  It wouldn't hurt to have help plugging up all the holes that appear.  If you can't succeed in plugging up all the holes a trap out will not work.  The real issue is if you can't plug up all the points of entry swarms will be a reoccurring event.  This is what is hard to get people that don't know bees to understand.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Tysbees

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »
I went check on the process of my trap out today and 20 ft away, there was a swarm on a bush right above the ground. The brick wall was covered with hundreds of drones. Bees are definitely coming out and not getting back in the house. Pic of my little helper!!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 06:48:59 am »
That is a tough one.
What I would try first is to construct a smoldering fire in the fireplace and use a shop vac to suck the smoke from the chimney and pump it into that entrance.  If it doesn't cause them to abscond it might show you where other entrances are.  Unfortunately there might be hundreds.  Is the building wood framed or masonry?

Hello Brian, I am new at posting on your forum and I read your comment as follows and it caught my attention as I know of a cedar tree that has an establshed hive located inside the hollow.  I was told that I could not force an absconb as this would not work on an established hive as the queen simply would not leave . My question, Is there hope yet? Can they be forced to abscomb with enough smoke?
Thanks Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 08:58:39 am »
I was told that I could not force an absconb as this would not work on an established hive as the queen simply would not leave . My question, Is there hope yet? Can they be forced to abscomb with enough smoke?
Thanks Phillip Hall

The nurse bees won't leave brood either.
Smoke alone will not do it.  Chances are a bee repellent won't do it either because you will not be able to get it concentrated enough where you need it.  The heat of the fireplace might do it but it is very risky.  Maybe a cup of hive beetles might slime them out of there but how do you get them to the nest?  Chimneys and fireplaces are a real problem for bee removal.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:16 am »
I was told that I could not force an absconb as this would not work on an established hive as the queen simply would not leave . My question, Is there hope yet? Can they be forced to abscomb with enough smoke?
Thanks Phillip Hall

The nurse bees won't leave brood either.
Smoke alone will not do it.  Chances are a bee repellent won't do it either because you will not be able to get it concentrated enough where you need it.  The heat of the fireplace might do it but it is very risky.  Maybe a cup of hive beetles might slime them out of there but how do you get them to the nest?  Chimneys and fireplaces are a real problem for bee removal.

Thanks Acebird
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 01:29:30 pm »
I watched  or listened o bee hooligans .#jp I think or yappy use bee be gone on a rag in a smoker at the entrance to get it deep in the hive. They might chime in.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 07:27:03 am »
JT,
If memory serves me right, he did that to get the bees out of the back of the hive area after he removed the comb.
It is very difficult to get bees off of brood.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything