Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multi-floral rose  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Multi-floral rose
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »
I am not sure where to post this but I thought here was as good a place as any.

I had some pictures of my girls working multi-floral rose last summer but they were too big to attach.

So the girls love the stuff and I have seen more grouse on my property this year than I have in the entire time since my parents bought it going back to when I was in Jr. high school. I enjoy going out with my dog bird hunting a lot more than deer hunting so that is good as well. My only problem is that I can usually hit pheasants, I usually miss grouse. Not sure if it is because they are smaller or if it is because they are faster... perhaps both but my percentage of grouse is pretty low. My father did get one and it was living off rose-hips. That is all well and good except it has taken over so much of my property that I can't really walk through the places where the birds are. Gunner, my beloved German Shorthair Pointer will point from afar but looks at me with that "What do you take me for? a beagle?" look when I try to get him to go into it.
The story behind the beagle comment: My father used to do a lot of rabbit hunting. Unfortunately Ruby has gone to the great dog bone in the sky but she was a great rabbit dog. When Ruby was on a rabbit about the only way to get her off the rabbit was shoot it. Dad came home one day with very bloody Ruby who refused to give up on a rabbit in the multi-floral rose. My father finally had to go in and physically catch her and carry her out. When he got home my mom thought he shot her she was so bloody.

So my question is... What do I do with the stuff? It seems to be good for the bees. It smells really nice. The birds love it. But it will shred your clothes and more importantly your hide if you try and walk through it.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Multi-floral rose
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:03:16 pm »
Lawnmower/bush hog and mow some paths through it?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:47 pm »
vinyl coated jacket and pants or firefighter jacket. motorcycle helmet and rubber coated gloves. tape the seams with duck tape. or try what my wife's brothers beagle would do trying to get out the yard with electric fence.( start screaming  as you start running in. )  :oops: :cry:

john

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:48 am »
Lawnmower/bush hog and mow some paths through it?
That might work for a little bit of it until I get the tractor stuck.  It's real wet and swampy where the majority of it is taking over. I have some trails around it. My dad got stuck a couple times making some of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:10:58 am »
vinyl coated jacket and pants or firefighter jacket. motorcycle helmet and rubber coated gloves. tape the seams with duck tape.

john
The only problem with that approach is that by the time I get all that protection I won't be able to move.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:14:35 am »
I once burned a large field by trying to mow down an old multiflora rose.   Here's the story:  http://rurification.blogspot.com/2012/04/long-time-ago-i-burned-our-hill.html 

We have worse problems with wild blackberries here.   Between the two, there are areas that are impenetrable on our place.     I've mowed and I've burned.   Burned lasts longer.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:29:30 am »
That's quite the story. I would just put the bush hog on the tractor and back over it. The dilemma I have is that I want the birds and my bees like the flowers... I even find the fragrance quite nice. If only they didn't shred skin when you try to walk through it.

anything