Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Massachusetts  (Read 1829 times)

Offline beekeeperBoB

• Brood
Hello from Massachusetts
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:18:27 pm »

Hi... I am a struggling single hive beekeeper in northern Mass.  I have lost two hives before... once to bears, and a second time to either disease or mites (or both).  I've had good luck this summer, despite the severe drought we're experiencing, and am hoping for a good winter-over. I do have a question right up front.  I just mixed some Fumagilin-B with some syrup as I read I should as a preventative.  Unfortunately the info I received did NOT mention premixing the meds in water FIRST, and THEN mixing with the syrup.  Will this mixture as I have made it WITHOUT first mixing in water injure my bees?  Or, shall I treat them again mixing properly the 2nd time (I don't wish to OVER medicate them!).  Thanks for your help!

BoB

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:00:17 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I cannot help you with your question because I never use Fumagilin or any other chemicals.
If you are not following the instructions, you are actually breaking the law.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:29:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question soon.

If you put your location in your profile, too, then whenever you ask a question, we'll be able to see about where you are.   It'll help you get answers better suited to your location.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy:

Unfortunatly, I don't treat either so I can't answer your question.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:04 am »
Well, I don't treat for anything either, and have never used fumidil (Fumigillian etc.) but anything that you want dissolved in syrup has to be dissolved in water first as it won't dissolve in the syrup.  So the concentration in places will be really high and it will not be evenly distributed throughout the syrup.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnosema.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#nosema

Since fumidil causes birth defects and since it makes Nosema cerana worse rather than better, and since Nosema cerana has virtually displaced Nosema apis, you could not pay me to use it.

http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1003185

Not to mention that it kills the bacteria in the gut of the bee that protects them from Nosema...

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0033188

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:33:29 am »
Welcome. THere are lots of knowledgeable people on the boards here.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything