Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: horses and honeybees in central south dakota and surrounding areas  (Read 2015 times)

Offline eastriverbeesd

• New Bee
Hi. Is there anyone here from south dakota or adjacent parts of northern Nebraska nw Iowa MN  or nd  that shares a similar interest in honeybees and everything horses. I'm in central south dakota between Pierre and Huron . I need an assistant also with making natural products and we need a cowgirl /horsewoman to complete a ranch rodeo team
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:39:45 pm by eastriverbeesd »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: horses and honeybees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »
I am not from your area but bee sure to keep your hives away from where your horses are. For some reason, the smell of horses seems to bother bees and the horses don't seem to run away from the bees when attacked.
Bees do not attack horses unless they are protecting the hive, so distance is the key.
Just to bee safe, I would keep them a couple of hundred feet apart.
On the other hand, my bees do not care about my cows grazing right up to the hives. Occasionally the cows will smell the entrance to the hives and bee reminded why they should not do that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: horses and honeybees in central south dakota and surrounding areas
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »
Micheal Bush keeps horses in Nebraska, along with his bees.

http://www.bushfarms.com
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything