BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Honey Heater

(1/3) > >>

Wombat2:
I was sick of my honey going solid during the winter - not so much the cold weather but the variety coming in easily crystalizes when cool.  So I decided to make a honey warmer.  I acquired at no cost an old defunct chest freezer - took out the compressor  and fitted a light socket and a digital thermostat ($12 on eBay) a wire shelf to support the stock.  Last thing to add when it arrives will be a computer cooling fan that will come on with the light and circulate the air. A 60 watt globe took 10 minutes to get the temperature up to 40*c and the digital thermostat holds it between 30 and 40.  As it will live under the house on bear dirt until I can get the area concreted I scavenged a plastic pallet from the local hardware rubbish skip to stand it on.  Bit smaller than I wanted but it will hold a 30kg bucket and a number of smaller ones.

The photos show the unit, inside with the light on, the digital thermostat, the wiring (not pretty but functional and safe)

superbee:
Nice work.

rwlaw:
Looking good. Wish I could find a junk chest freezer for cheap, the power company has a 50 buck rebate for electrical appliances here. I just can't see giving somebody that for something that i got to tear apart and put back together.

Wombat2:

--- Quote from: rwlaw on January 15, 2016, 10:07:29 am ---Looking good. Wish I could find a junk chest freezer for cheap, the power company has a 50 buck rebate for electrical appliances here. I just can't see giving somebody that for something that i got to tear apart and put back together.

--- End quote ---

This was a working "proof of concept" project - if I ever develop a wax moth problem I will look at converting a working freezer to be duel purpose - warm honey and freeze wax moth eggs and lava before feeding back to the bees to clean up

Joe D:
Nice work Wombat2.   

rw I haul off a little scrap iron once in a while.  I have had two chest type and one side by side given to me to haul them off.  Brought them home and got all three running.  Sold the side by side and kept the two chest freezers.

Good luck to you and your bees

Joe D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version