Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow Root  (Read 4680 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Yellow Root
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:31:00 pm »
Yellow Root(Xanthorhiza simplicissima)

Has anyone had any experience with this besides me? btw my experience has been very good. Not to confuse with yellow dock, golden seal, or maybe golden thread(?).

This plant grows along creek banks. I haven't found any growing over 10 yards from the actual moving water. It seems to grow in patches from what I've saw. Okay, now for the good stuff. From my "readings" it is said to cure even stomach cancer in a lot of cases. It contains the chemical berberine which is a powerful antibiotic. It'll knock dead a mouth ulcer and stomach ulcers caused by the H polori bacteria. Could cancer be as simple as a flesh eating virus?

My experience is that it will certainly cure mouth ulcers within 12 hours, however sometimes it's said to take 1-3 days. My neighbor was having problems with a fever blister. She ground up some yellow root, mixed it with chap stick, applied it that morning and by afternoon the fever blister had quit fevering and was in retraction. I just bought some land from a friend of mine. We enjoy each other's company because of the "old ways" we talk about. I was raised by my grandparents and he was around his quite a lot. He said, I'd like to find me some yellow root. He went on to tell about how his granny would boil it and let them gargle with it to get rid of a canker. Anyway, good stuff.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
Re: Yellow Root
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:04:09 pm »
Yes I have, last fall I had some stomach inflammation brought on by the poke root tincture I was taking for my arthritis. Poke (Phytolacca americana) is a wonderful anti-inflammatory.

For my stomach I made yellowroot tea for a few days, cleared it right up. Yellowroot contains berberine. There are several hundred other species of plants that contain berberine. Some of the more common are lawn ornamentals like Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) and Barberry (Berberis sp).

This reminds me, I need to harvest some for a friend. In the photo yellowroot is the plant with the 3 leaf pattern with notched leaves. It?s similar in appearance to poison ivy but PI is a vine. Yellowroot is a little shrub. It can be difficult to see after the leaves change color in the fall. I don?t harvest the root. The above ground portion is almost as potent so I make tea from the stems. If you leave the root the plant will put back up the next spring.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:12:10 pm »
Thanks for the info on this!

Locally Golden Seal is called Yellow root, so had to hunt for some answers. Between talking to a couple of old timers and researching a few books, learned a lot! One said it was used locally for diabetes and to bring down high blood pressure as well as anti inflammatory. Said he was taught to be really cautious on dosage, tho. Can get toxic really fast.

Said it has small drooping flowers this time of year.

Think it is actually growing down on our creek bank - will wander down there tomoro to have a look see.

Thanks again for the interesting post.
Neill

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »
Thanks for the info on this!

Locally Golden Seal is called Yellow root, so had to hunt for some answers.

Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) is also called yellowroot. In much of its home range Goldenseal is considered an ?at risk? plant from decades of over harvesting.

It doesn?t grow where I live, only north of here at higher elevations. Herbalists I know who use both ?yellowroot? plants say Xanthorhiza simplicissima is a much more ?gentle? medicine. It?s range extends well into the coastal plain across the southeast.

Here is what it looks like in the fall... hard to see!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:45:29 pm »
wow, I looked at the first picture and My first thought was that it was poison ivy. If I had see it growing on my farm I probably would have sprayed it. Thanks for the info.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »
wow, I looked at the first picture and My first thought was that it was poison ivy. If I had see it growing on my farm I probably would have sprayed it. Thanks for the info.
Jim

Lol, I often see it side by side with PI. Yellowroot loves sandy banks beside flowing streams and creeks. I've never seen it more than 25ft from water.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
I've never seen it more than 25ft from water.  Ditto

Darryl Patton (www.thesouthernherbalist.com) and the late great Tommie Bass says you can was a baby in yellow root tea and it won't hurt it a drop. I got their book, "Mountain Medicine" The herbal remedies of Tommie Bass. Alabama Specific.

Astragulas (membernaceous) both spelled horribly wrong is an awesome plant. Astragulas Canaceous (sp) isn't as good. I understand in the western part of the US they avoid it because of the selenium in the soil. The same may or may not apply to goldenseal in your neck of the woods herbhome

Jim, I would think that there's tons of this growing down there in Florida because of the creeks and sand. If you're not sure reach down and scratch some of the bark off close to the ground. It should turn a brilliant yellowish color - can't miss it.

Peanut, I take 3 berries 2 to 3 times a week. Swallow them whole, don't chew! The poison is in the seeds (small amount). Chewing it will give you a very bitter taste. How long have you been fooling with herbs? I made a tincture out of Hollowed Joe Pye Weed and (the name left me) but poured it out. I made it, then forgot about it. I was concerned about how potent it may have become.

Try some cucumber magnolia bark for your arthritis, it'll make a cripple man walk from what I've "read".
Bee sting help as well.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:29:36 pm »
I've never seen it more than 25ft from water.  Ditto

Darryl Patton (www.thesouthernherbalist.com) and the late great Tommie Bass says you can was a baby in yellow root tea and it won't hurt it a drop. I got their book, "Mountain Medicine" The herbal remedies of Tommie Bass. Alabama Specific.

Astragulas (membernaceous) both spelled horribly wrong is an awesome plant. Astragulas Canaceous (sp) isn't as good. I understand in the western part of the US they avoid it because of the selenium in the soil. The same may or may not apply to goldenseal in your neck of the woods herbhome

Jim, I would think that there's tons of this growing down there in Florida because of the creeks and sand. If you're not sure reach down and scratch some of the bark off close to the ground. It should turn a brilliant yellowish color - can't miss it.

Peanut, I take 3 berries 2 to 3 times a week. Swallow them whole, don't chew! The poison is in the seeds (small amount). Chewing it will give you a very bitter taste. How long have you been fooling with herbs? I made a tincture out of Hollowed Joe Pye Weed and (the name left me) but poured it out. I made it, then forgot about it. I was concerned about how potent it may have become.

Try some cucumber magnolia bark for your arthritis, it'll make a cripple man walk from what I've "read".
Bee sting help as well.

GSF, I've been going in the woods with Darryl 4 or 5 years now, learning plant medicine from a master. I sometimes make tinctures for him, plants not common to that elevation. He knows I can't be a full time student so every once in a while when he is teaching something special he invites me up for the weekend. As a matter of fact I need to go up to Gadsden and harvest some crossvine soon.

Sometimes I leave plants in tincture for months, depends on the plant, whether you are drawing out resins ect. I strain them out when I get around to it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:37:20 am by Peanut »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »
You're in the woods with Darryl? How awesome is that! Does he still keep bees?

I've corresponded with him twice over the last 12 months concerning his school. Right now I can't do anything because of my work days. Does he offer an opportunity to visit his classes ever now and then? I think I'm close to 4 hours away. I believe he's moved his school closer to the ne corner of the state.

Ask him if he needs some cucumber magnolia bark. I know a spot where a lot of it grows, plus I have some already dried in a sack.

The other plant I forgot the name of was Boneset.

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:27 am »
You're in the woods with Darryl? How awesome is that! Does he still keep bees?

I've corresponded with him twice over the last 12 months concerning his school. Right now I can't do anything because of my work days. Does he offer an opportunity to visit his classes ever now and then? I think I'm close to 4 hours away. I believe he's moved his school closer to the ne corner of the state.

Ask him if he needs some cucumber magnolia bark. I know a spot where a lot of it grows, plus I have some already dried in a sack.

The other plant I forgot the name of was Boneset.

I'm on Facebook with Darryl, yep he's a topbar guy. PM me your name and any message, he'll have it before the day is out. Oh, which boneset?... 5 species grow here. Teasing, I know the one you mean... Eupatorium perfoliatum... be aware there are several others species, not as strong medicinally, but can be used... lol

anything