Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coyote problems  (Read 5971 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Coyote problems
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:45:15 pm »
I've been having a problem with coyotes this year.  They are every where.
I can't do much in the daytime (I work in another county).
Has anyone had any experience with night time predator control, night vision scopes?
Pricing, quality?

Offline Garlicyoda

• New Bee
    • food for pandas
Re: Coyote problems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:11:12 am »
think night time there you are required to  use shot gun at night for coyote. But moon light, and a nearby gut pile should do just fine. No need for night vision.  Best of luck.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:29:53 pm »
I've never used a night scope.  You can buy calls (recordings work pretty well) for coyotes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:42 pm »
We have coyotes here as well.. they are starting to eat people cats and small dogs..
    The aforementioned gut pile, dead cow etc..  Or a game call and BRIGHT lights works as well..  call them in, when they get near the target area, flip on the BRIGHT lights, and they will typically freeze for a few moments..  if your ready, and good, you can get them before they run.
   A nice Mini 14 or AR works here, and I have seen shotguns with buckshot employed often...  I like the mini over the bolt gun..  I could NEVER miss a running coyote 9 times with a bolt gun!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
I have not heard coyotes recently but when they are around there must be hundreds of them judging from the noise they make. I would like to get a few goats to mow the dyke of my pond but I don't dare because of the coyotes. My neighbor has goats and sheep and I can tell when they are really close because I hear him shoot when they get close. His comment was that a Billy could take on a dog... I responded with a Billy probably could take on one dog... Probably not a whole pack of them. He said yea but hopefully we would hear the commotion and get out and start shooting before it is too late. That is easier for him than me because his are behind his house. If I was to get some and have to start shooting coyotes I would probably have to shoot in the direction of his house across the street.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:17 pm »
It has always been a mystery to me that I hear coyotes yelping and howling in a pack, but I only ever see them hunting solo.  Does anyone know if they actually ever hunt in a pack?  I've never seen it.  I have never heard of it either.  I HAVE heard of them hunting in a team with a badger.
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/coyotes-badgers-find-food1.htm
http://www.ecology.info/badger-coyote.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
About 15 years ago during deer season.  A pack of coyotes had my dads chow and siberian husky or malamute surounded and they where fighting over a deer skin that the dogs had drug up to the house.  Shows they are not afraid to take on the big dogs too. The big dogs were back to back and the coyotes had them surounded and were running sneak side attachs.  The malamute/husky was a killer in his own right and I saw it almost ham string a deer once.  It used to catch birds out af the air.  We finaly put it down when it took down a neibors calf.  Some times I hear them going to town with howling really close to my deer stand but I never see them except as michael says "one at a time".
gww

Offline Garlicyoda

• New Bee
    • food for pandas
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »
It has always been a mystery to me that I hear coyotes yelping and howling in a pack, but I only ever see them hunting solo.  Does anyone know if they actually ever hunt in a pack?  I've never seen it.  I have never heard of it either.  I HAVE heard of them hunting in a team with a badger.

That is the bait coyote. to hunt domestic dogs the one lures in the dog and runs back to the pack.

In other game he is the one to draw the attention of the animal while the rest of the pack works.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:24 pm »
This time of year a gut pile is not going to happen.  Nothing in season.  I'm not picking road kill.
Too many yahoo's have used the electronic callers for them to be effective, at least for me.  Got recommendations?
I have used the Primos caller, speakers weren't clear, returned, Bass Pro no longer carries. 
All my chickens, dogs gone.
I plan to put a friends chicken in a cage and use as a lure, no other ideas for now.

I know they feed in packs, hunt in singles here.  They are big as well.

Offline Garlicyoda

• New Bee
    • food for pandas
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 01:36:25 am »
do you have a mom and pop butcher ?  raw carcass of like turkey , goose, chicken  nailed to a stump  for a few days ( what I did to get them on game camera in KY) 

Best of luck.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 07:27:03 am »
Over the years here in N. Fl it seems to me that there is definitely an increase in numbers of coyotes. We usually always harvest at least one during hunting season. Like Michael said I have only seen them solo but always hear them and it seems like there are many.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 10:06:57 am »
> I'm not picking road kill.

The secret to road kill is that you only pick up animals on the road you drive every day and only the ones that weren't there the last time you made the trip (less than 16 hours ago).  And, of course, you have a nice contractor garbage bag to keep your car clean.
-------------------

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 10:40:47 pm »
i was hunting coyote with some friends a few years ago and we called in a pack.  they used a distresses cottontail call and i followed up with a mouth call.  one came out on their end of the field.  when we packed it in a few minutes later it was pitch black and when i could hear the guys getting close to me i called and between me and them an entire pack sounded off.  somebody mentioned the lure dog earlier, i think that's pretty much how it works.  i know they'll use a female in heat to lure a dog out of his yard and then set in on him.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:16 am »

I have lost good hounds to a pack of coyotes. I have no mercy reserved for them.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 07:54:14 am »
I read a pretty interesting article a few years ago about coyotes. The article said if left alone the female coyote will only produce about 3-4 pups in a litter. If persecuted, as in hunted heavily by mankind, they may have as many as 16(?). On a TV show one time I saw a segment about coyotes living in major cities. I think this one was San Francisco. A lady let her poodle out in her fenced in backyard just before going to work. The yard size was nothing - major city. She said when she went to let it back in she saw a coyote jump the fence with it in it's mouth.

I have about 14 acres fenced in for goats. I used 48" field fence (hog wire), 3 to 5 strands of barb wire on top, T poles every 3 1/2 steps, cross ties every 5 to 7 T poles, and 2 to 3 wooden stakes between each pole/cross tie. A year or so later it dawned on me that if hungry enough they would just dig under the fence - duh! A couple of things about my fence is it won't be easy, and if a predator starts trying to get at them they will move on and the predator will follow lessen the chance of it digging under. Not fool proof though.

Eric; I question the dog vs goat thing. One of the first things a dog does in a fight is try to break the front leg of their opponents. I don't see any goat winning in a dog fight. I may be wrong.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »
GSF the only way the goat has a chance is a billy with horns. If it can gore it with a horn then it can win. I agree with you however... That is a long shot and why I don't have goats as biological lawn mowers.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »

The pack isnt glued together, they are spread out covering ground in the same direction. The various vocalizations yips and barks lets the others know to come or keep moving I guess. I often hear them on 2 sides of a bold creek, working up creek, with 2 or 3 on each side spaced 50 to 100 yds apart. I assume once one finds game, they all come to that dog. I hate coyotes. At least, thats how they work in the east. Wish yall would take em all back. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 07:09:28 pm »
That is the bait coyote. to hunt domestic dogs the one lures in the dog and runs back to the pack.

In other game he is the one to draw the attention of the animal while the rest of the pack works.

Nasty buggers.  I had one that used to sit in the drive and bark like a dog.  He was trying to lure my dogs out.  I'll second that hunting spread.  they go through the Christmas tree farms spread out and when one kills a rabbit (or cat) they all come to the kill. 

They aren't just out at night either.  they'll be crossing my place any time of the day.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.