Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: looking for vine stocks  (Read 2764 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
looking for vine stocks
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:51:41 pm »
I have been building an orchard for a couple of years, starting off all with young plants. Apple, pear, peach and cherry. I also have raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry etc. Full sun, northwest NJ right where zones 5 and 6 meet. Orchard is cut into woods so area is moist in the morning. Stream runs close by. I'd like to plant grapes. 1 green, 1 red both seedless for eating and 2 wine grapes. 25-50 per. I'm trying to find what works best in this area. I'm working with an excellent vineyard in north NY but they don't know for sure what would be good here. I'm looking for specific vine stocks. Any suggestions,     thanks  Jes

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: looking for vine stocks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:25:09 pm »
Jester,
I'm doing the same thing. 
I found a lot of product on a site called Stark Brothers. 
There are other internet resellers as well. 
If you find something with good pricing let me know.
So far I have managed to kill all my grapes but my apple, pears, raspberry and blueberry are doing well.

I'd like to get some ginseng going this spring.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:10 am »
I can't offer any advise on what type of grape would work for you.  I am growing fredonia grapes for juice.  I would just suggest checking out Indiana Berry and Plant Co.  I ordered my grapes and some rasberries from them 2 years ago and was really impressed with the plants.  In fact I got a couple bunches of grapes on them the first year.

Chris

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:33:31 pm »
+1 on the Fredonia. Not seedless, but wow they're good. We can the juice 2gal at a time. Mom's arbor still has a Fredonia vine on it that's over 65 years old.

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 02:14:16 pm »
OK  thanks for the info....will look at those other sites........jes

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:40 pm »
Sounds like you got some good advice already. I would like to throw in this. If you can find a local nursery who is well versed talk to them. Some of the catalog & big box stores will sell you a plant that may grow in your yard but not produce in your area. You'll spend years thinking you done something wrong.

I use a place north of here called "Petals from the Past". They started out decades ago selling heirloom roses (still do). They are a heck of an operation. Dr Powel is a plant scientist who retired from Auburn University and his son owns and runs the place. They only sell fruit bearing plants that will do good in your area. Some plants will do good south of there but not too far north of there. They will bring that to your attention. This place sits on 10-20 or so acres, U-Pick as well. They've also color coded their plants to identify what is native to the area, plants that are good for pollinators, and medicinal garden plants.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything