Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden Pests  (Read 2314 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Garden Pests
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
I've noticed this year in my garden's life I've had to deal with more pests than usual. An example is the tomatoe worm. (horned worm). I usually don't see these until late summer. I've already had an issue with them this year. A type of aphids is wrapping my peas up. I'm going to spray this evening when the bee activity dies down. I picked them this morning as well.

A pest new to me is some type of beetle, looks similar to a june bug but about 1/2 to 2/3's the size and a little darker. These guys are eating everything, okra, apple, grape, scuponog, muscidine , and other leaves. To keep them off you'd have to spray about every week.

I had forgot about the kudzu stink bug. I saw a ton of them this spring but then they disappeared. No, I didn't look on the kudzu :-D
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Garden Pests
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:32:08 am »
I use hydrated lime powder. It keeps all the bugs off and doesn't hurt the bees. My berries, grapes, etc. are totally white now. I reapply after each rain.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:28 am »
Is your ‘new beetle’ a Japanese beetle?  They’re about the size you’re describing.

These things are something else in bad years.  They’ll strip some trees bear in no time.

As for the tomato worms, you ought to try raising a few to adults sometime, they’re pretty cool.  
See this thread:  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,34597.0.html

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:29:46 pm »
That's her Blue! You're right, they are rentless. I forgot to mention the aphid like bugs that literally have my peas covered. I gave them a good dose after I pick the peas.

That's a beautiful butterfly (moth). We used to have the lunar moths around here as well. Their caterpillar's are huge, about 6 or 7 inches. I let the maypops (passion flower) grow freely along my ditch as well as "some" polk sally/salad. Since I started doing that my butterfly population has increased.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.