Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Iddee  (Read 2406 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Iddee
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »
Iddee, or others who have dealt with trapping out a brand new colony, I need some advice.

House trap out being set up tonight on a newly moved in colony (3 days). Bees are between a brick wall and stucco and lathe interior wall, entering through a gap between two bricks.

Questions:
1 - Better to use uncapped brood, or a small queen right colony for the bait hive?

2 - Because of the overhanging soffit, I can't position the hive for a bottom entrance, anything wrong with using a top entrance for the bait hive?

3 How fast would you expect the new colony to abscond from behind the wall and what's the best set up to entice them into the bait out hive?

I've done half a dozen trap outs before, I have just never tried one on a brand new colony.

Thanks.   ....Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Iddee
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »
1...The queen in the swarm will likely come out, so I would use brood only.

2...No problem with upper entrance.

3... 1 to 5 days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:52 pm »
Thanks Iddee.

I've used your advice multiple times before and made some good change, do you have a favorite spirit, I'll send you a bottle?

Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:13:34 am »
Thanks, but a good post on the forum, like that one, is pay enough. I'm just glad to help the bees, and other beeks.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:43 pm »
Some Pictures

Sure like using a top entrance, the bees took right to it, might make it standard practice

Thanks again Iddee

(and also to Drew Coates for being too busy to get to this one)   ....Don

anything