Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bees are swarming in Central Arkansas finally.  (Read 1982 times)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Honey Bees are swarming in Central Arkansas finally.
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:27 am »
Just as I figured after this last cold snap we had the bees began swarming all at once.
I got 5 swarm calls yesterday and 4 today.
So far this week I got 11 swarms in the box not counting the trap outs I'm doing.
I've had to turn down countless swarms too far away.
We're running about 5-6 weeks behind what we have been the last couple of years.
In my beeyards there is scarlet and white clover (400 acres) but none is blooming yet.
I figure another week or two anyhow.
I hope we don't go straight from winter to summer.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
Re: Honey Bees are swarming in Central Arkansas finally.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:28:05 pm »
They are swarming steadily in North Arkansas too. Last week when we had the cold snap for a few days I met my first mean swarm. A guy called me about a swarm about 12 feet off the ground in a plum tree that had been there for a couple days.

As soon as I climbed up the step ladder they attacked. No head butting, No warning, just stinging. I got nailed 5 or 6 times getting back down the ladder and had to put on a veil,jacket and gloves to get them in the box.

I had a frame of honey and some drawn comb in the box and they started in on the honey immediately. I left them overnight and picked them up the next morning. I guess they were just hungry and that made them irritable, Since I've brought them home they've been as gentle as any hive I own.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Re: Honey Bees are swarming in Central Arkansas finally.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:49:35 am »
Good that you didn't fall of the ladder, I always suit up when my feet are off the ground.

Don