Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap Out Southern California Late Fall  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
Trap Out Southern California Late Fall
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:26 pm »
Been ruminating about how a trap out/rob out I'm needing to proceed w/ might transpire. It's in a difficult tight angle where the beginning of a dormer roof eaves meets the main roof & solar panels are on top of dormer. Had hoped the bee's were building comb under the eaves in this sheltered angled area but no dice for ez cut out. They are going in/out between rafter studs & the wood roof base. I can't get a funnel cone in the tight space so have to build out & box in w/ plywood the sheltered angle area & caulk & will install a 2way porters bee escape. BTW has anyone seen catalog w/ those see through clear plastic bee escapes? Lost my link.

I have also to get brood comb w/ eggs as getting cold (for southern Calif-mid-upper 50's, eves upper 30's-40's) last few days, but main concern is the lack of drones now. Am I better off not using brood comb & collect bees weekly & just try to merge trapped out bees w/ my existing hives w/ the paper method? That could risk workers laying eggs? I'm also installing 3 swarm lure traps to hopefully lure the absconding queen. The home owners were wanting to try this now as termites again discovered & might have to tent the house after New Years. Uploading pics now & hope to have more in coming weeks - months. Video sucks w/ my older camera as this is on northside of house & w/ many trees.

Here is link to start of this series if above pic's don't come in:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117290221471744577880/BeeRescueSHives2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMvX4uLO_r2n5wE#5677544652297294594

https://picasaweb.google.com/117290221471744577880/BeeRescueSHives2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMvX4uLO_r2n5wE#5677531544004375250
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Trap Out Southern California Late Fall
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:08:21 pm »
Wish you luck. Whatever you decide, I don't think it is going to be easy.

Rather than combining, I would just set the weakest hive at the trap and let them take up with it. If you have more than one weak one, you could boost a few of them, one at a time.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »
Iddee thanks, that would be better move. Got a late swarm in 5 frame medium nuc that I need to inspect that could be used possibly for this situation.

I see pic's didn't post & for the life of me can't figure out Picasa & how to attach to BeeMaster!

Gotta run to beeyard to check as bees getting pissy w/upper 50 temps.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:24:04 am »
Got the area under dormer rafters boxed & caulked & screened in on Tuesday. Left open the porters bee escape as was late & wanted the exit/ entrance to be tagged w/ scent to establish the exit path. Came Wednesday & no surprise bees found other area near dormer rafter to enter/exit so took aluminum & caulked. Closed up the porter bee escape & watched the foragers stream out. Put med. 5 frame nuc closer & noticed hive had a few battles but looked like house bees were trying to adopt the lure hive. Will check Friday & hopefully my temperamental Samsung will cooperate to catch some progress.

Need to check those Black Friday sales but so many options not sure what point & shoot digital camera under $150 would capture the bees the best via video/ stills (any threads on BM w/ that info?). Turkey's tryptophan kicking in but tomorrow another day to work off the stuffing. Hope all had a great Thanksgiving.

Cheers, David/AMR

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:22 am »
Checked this Wed's & sure enough bees found another entrance under rafter under eaves on the main roof directly below dormer area they favored their previous exit/entrance. This evidence shows they're in the north wall. Now have to rustle up 20-30ft ladder to caulk but shake shingle siding could have many exits. Will caulk up this entrance & see if it will hold.

On another bee rescue project, bummed tonight as a sprinkler controller box hive I cut out & left onsite for bees to orient to nuc, was sprayed. The representative I talked to of 7th Day Advent, said I could leave for a day or 2. Guess the building manager didn't get the word & had his guy spray that pyrethrin crap. My box smells like this stuff & gotta trash em. Got a dark honey that had a tangy taste & reddish tinge. Winds kicking up here so checking mini apiares Friday to see what blew down. Upwards & onwards beekeeps.