Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding bees honey  (Read 3764 times)

Offline MeadFarm

• House Bee
Feeding bees honey
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:07:03 pm »
I'm new to the world of bees and am starting with a somewhat daunting 6 hives. We would like to go as natural as possible (no pesticides or pharmaceuticals). My question is about feeding new colonies. Because we make mead we have an excess of honey. Has anyone tried or heard of feeding bees honey instead of sugar-water? Not sure of appropriate feeder types etc. Any other feeding advice is welcome and appreciated!
Thanks

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Feeding bees honey
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:54:33 pm »
Bees should be fed honey from their hive only. If you have a large enough freezer and wanted to store say one or two supers from each colony and mark it so you would know it is theirs.

It is recommended not to feed bees honey from another colony.

Of course no one but you would know. :roll:  :shock:

Their is nothing wrong with pure cane granulated sugar syrup. It is as natural as you can get in that category. doak

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:19:36 am »
other than the fact that you might swap disease, can't think of any reason not to use frames from another hive.  we swap frames for brood, eggs, etc.  why would honey be any different?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:34:05 am »
The best is if it's still in the comb. :)  Capped honey is hard to beat, but you can feed honey all the ways you feed syrup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin