1 (1.9%)
GPS Adventures
0 (0%)
Swimming
0 (0%)
Other
18 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Favorite Outdoor Activity  (Read 16420 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Favorite Outdoor Activity
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 02:11:34 am »
Konasdad.  My Father was a SCUBA diving instructor.  I remember being a 15 year old teenager and him trying to get me and my friends interested in the underwater stuff.  Nope, now I really wish that I had taken him up on it.  My loss, I could be eating Ling Cod this very day  :roll:  Best of a beautiful day, great life, great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:59 am »
Currently, my fav outdoor activity is working on my land. I recently put up new goat fences (hard work but fun when done). Over the fall and winter we cleared out a ton of crap from the forest floor.

We are also clearing a lot of trees since we have a way too many sweet gum. In one small area, there were over 100 established SG in just a 50ftx50ft area. As we clear, we are adding new trees to our land, sourwood, black locust, eastern redbuds etc. Not just for the bees, but to diversify out crop. Lots of new fruit trees going in including a wonderful fruit we came across call che.

I'm also preparing to expand my bee stuff.  I know this is my first year and I only have 2 hives, but I am already planning a mass expansion next year to experiment with nucs and my own queens. There is a huge gap within VA for availability of local nucs. I have lost count of the number of times I have come across people wanting nucs in VA. This year, I think I could have sold 50 without even trying if I had them..  With my career now taking up a basic 40 hours, I have so much time available for this project..

Fun outdoor times, and I'm loving it..

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 10:35:42 am »
Cindi- you would love scuba for all the same reasons you like gradening, beekeeping and just being outside. If you think its fascinating to watch ants or bees or flowers mature, imagine close ups of corals, minute fishes w/ intense colors that can only be seen in natural lighting. I'll post a few picas later tonite to give you a taste of what you can see. My parents got certified in their fifties so do it!

MarkR- plant locusts, youll be awestruck at what bees do w/ these trees. My locusts leafed out this week and blooms are about two weeks away. Cant wait!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 09:18:23 pm »
I only get one?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 09:50:14 pm »
Tending my land...soaking up nature...floating in the warm  healing waters of Anae'ho'omalu Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii..one of my "home away from homes"...

Aloha malama pono~*~*~*~*~

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07:30 am »
Konasdad.  About the SCUBA diving.  My husband has his licence (ticket?), whatever it is called, so does my oldest daughter, hmmm....maybe it is time for this ol' girl to get on it too.  I know that it would be fun.

When we were in Fiji in 1997 (yikes that was 10 years ago, can't believe that, time does fly), must be time for another vacation, that was the last one we have gone away for, we went on a 3 day cruise to coral islands.  We spend hours upon hours snorkeling in these beautiful clear warm waters.  I loved it, it was hard to pull me out of the water, the fish, coral and all the wonders of what I could see from my point of view from the top few inches of the water was something that I could even begin to impart how I felt.  It makes me go back to that beautiful place in my mind often.  We took a Sony camcorder that we had purchased an underwater container for, we my husband took some really cool underwater pictures.  EEEKs.  enough said.

Our water is cold up where we live, even in summertime.  The ocean is not the nicest place to swim, so the benefit of SCUBA would be for when we take more trips to warmer waters, so I may still entertain the thought of lessons surely, yeah!!!  Another little avenue of life I could travel down.  BEst of a beautiful day, great health wishes for all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 09:16:47 pm »
Carnivorous Plant Gardening, Heheh especialy Venus flytraps! (i like the tropical ones more but where i am thats an indoor thing)

Backpacking

Photography

DRIVING with the windows down and music blasted, though I dont like doing that allot cause I dont run any kind of bio fuel or any thing like that.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

anything