Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poults flying!!!  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Poults flying!!!
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:01:46 am »
Last evening, long, long before sundown, I was working in the chickenyard.  I looked inside the turkey house and there I saw Abigail.  Madeline and her had taken the poults out of their enclosed yard for the day, moseying around the chickenyards, basking in the sunshine.  She was probably very weary after having to take extra care of the babies and both hens were teaching the babies lots of new stuff.

The poults began to hatch on April 28, yesterday was May 15, so they are approximately 18 days old, man, do they mature faster than the speed of light!!!!

Upon the nest house, she decided to fly up to.  Along with her I saw a little one.  I didn't want her up there, (I am a control freak, hee, hee), so I went to shoo her down, which she did.  I was going to pick up the poult to put it down too, but holy smokin' cadoodalhoppers!!!  This little baby decided to have no part of me coming too close and flew down, from the top of this box that is about 4 feet off the ground, to the other side of the box stall.  That would be about 12 feet.  I was shocked.  And I still am shocked more and more, every day, about what the turkeys are up to.  They are new to me and I love to see the surprises they give me all the time.  These little dudes are even beginning to have little scraps, go figure that one.  And they are curious beyond what I could ever have believed, some certainly way more adventurous than the others too!! Beautiful and most wonderful day, loving our lives.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Poults flying!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:14:25 am »
If you weren't the welcoming committe president we'd ahve to call you Cindi Doolittle! ;)

My, you are def into the farm life aren't ya? When we move to our land one day I will do all that stuff too Cindi. Glad you're having so much fun with the animals.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:27:33 am »
JP, yep, you will have that fun too when you are the farm boy and your Wife the farm girl!!!  One could never in their wildest dreams imagine the fun that goes on, on a farm.  It is the most fun ever.  As a very immature adult, hee, hee, I can bring that kid out in me any time that I like, and that is most of the time.  There is always something cool and fun going on with the critters, the bees and me (oh yes, and the myriad of kids too).

Yesterday my youngest Grandson, Nephew and the new foster boy found what they called a click beetle.  My youngest Grandson had heard me speak of the click  beetle and the clicking sound it makes when it is flipped over.  That was last summer I was telling him about this bug.

He was jumping on the tramp with the other two boys, calling and calling me.  I was in the process of hosing off the chickenyard walkways (a series of pallets to make like a walking ramp to stay out of the mucky crap), I was rather busy.  But he was so determined that I get his attention that I just had to go and see what he was yelling about.

Beside the trampoline they had a little terrarium, which Troy, the pink toed tarantula lived in, before he died, sitting on the lawn.  There was still some coconut fibre in the tank.  They had found a click beetle, or so they thought it was.  We looked and looked for this little dude and finally found him up on the side wall.  I looked at it.  I didn't think it was a click beetle, didn't look like the ones that I knew, so I humoured them and told them that it was the most beautiful click beetle I had ever seen.  I picked it up, it was tiny and thin, no clue what kind of beetle it was, but they were so proud.

I will unearth a "real" click beetle today while they are at school, and surprise them. Their click beetle will have metamorphed into a real black click beetle.

Well, thinking about it, maybe they did have some species of click beetle, one never knows.  Oh dear, I am ramblin'.  Have that wonderful, most beautiful of these days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:06 am »
Cindi, yeah, love click beetles.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:46 am »
Cindi Doolittle, the gal who psychoanalyzes animals.
Brian Doolittle, the guy who understands what they say.
Labor Day is going to be a blast.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:24:15 am »
Cindi,  I had forgotten all about click beetles till your post.  Today I found one by the hives so played w/it for awhile & showed Chels,  she had never seen one before.  Amazing what someone says clicks into a memory! Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 10:13:39 am »

Oooooooh ya!!!!  We be analyzing your critters, listening to their stories and responses, and oh yes......it gonna be some fun, fun, fun!!!  I can't wait to analyze your billy goat, hee, hee!!!  BEautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' this life we all share.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:28 am »
I wish you all a very grand time, and regret that I can't be there. My wife & I are going to our property in Ms, it is a long overdue visit. Ya'll please be sure to take lots of pictures. Have lots of fun!!!

Someone will be psycho-analyzing both of you, heehee! :-D

...JP

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:16 am »
Cindi, you will have to analyze him from a distance..they are gross! I entered a contest @the feedstore to win a young nubian wether.  He will go with my Chevy who is so lonely & getting into much trouble since Haley died.  I'll find out @ 3 today (entered my daughter too for better odds. :evil:)  I can't wait to see Brians pigeons!!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:04:31 am »
Jody, oh yes, I know about the billys.  Man do they stink!!!  When I was a young woman (oh say, when was that anyways, hee, hee).  I was hippie girl.  I had a girlfriend who was hippie girl.  We did hippie girl things together and we kept goats.  I only had two Nubian does and she had does and a great ugly old billy.  They were Togenburg or something like that, the ugly white ones.  I think goats are ugly by the way, there is no pretty goat.  And man, did this woman stink!!!  And not from human scent either.  I remember she had a Indian sweater that was her favourite warm thing to wear, that is what the name is for the knitted jackets made of wool.  (I am sure nowadays, there is a more politically correct name, like Aboriginal sweater, or First Nations sweater or something like that).  Anyways, I would make her leave her stinky billy goat gruff sweater outside, I wouldn't let her wear it in the house, man did that stink.  They say that smells bring about the strongest memories, oh yes, I remember the scent of this girl very well too.  Have the most wonderfully great and happy day, Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12:48 am »
They were Togenburg or something like that, the ugly white ones.

Alpine?  Did they talk with a Swiss accent or Yodel?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:22 am »
Brian, oh yes, probably Alpine then, that was about 30 years ago, but I think I recall that they yodelled, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful of days, Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:30:49 pm »
Cindi, the toggenburg are the cute mid sized ones that look like little deer,(although Chevy is a devil...) my personal favorite. but I do like the lamancha (sp??) too!  Rain today...sigh!  BUT it will smell sooooo good outside, I love that spring rain smell!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:08:35 am »
Jody, we have had the rains from the very depths of the universe the past few days.  Man, yesterday I have honestly never seen rain so hard and long.  The lightening and thunder was something I haven't witnessed in all my years either, we can get thunder and lightening, but it was so bad it was shaking the house.  It started yesterday morning about 5:00 and it woke everyone up and they were all scared.  My Daughter phoned over to say that her place was shaking and she thought a truck had hit something, horrific.  But then the day turned out a little sunny later in the afternoon.  And now I have work today.  My overpopulated colony that is going nuts, even after tons of brood and bees removed is still so big that it has proceeded with swarm cells.  The will be capped in about 3 days, so I have to work hard to make that split, remove the queen and most brood and make them think that they have swarmed.  I began to look for the queen yesterday, got through one full box of bees and a half box, decided to wait until today, too much work and not enough time left in the day.  There must be easier ways, hee, hee.  Oh well, livin', learnin' and loving life.  Have that beautiful day, wonderful day, Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:06 pm »
Awww, we didn't get any thunder/lightning,  :( maybe you are in the convergence zone??  I love thunder storms!!  Do your dogs do ok?  When Maddy was a pup I would sound excited & give her goodies every time it thundered.  She was never scared but would come running to me with the expectations of a treat!! Worked for fireworks too! :-D  It did rain lots yesterday at times...always when I would get ready to go work on the chix pen & head out the door! :-x!  Do you have mosquitos?  They are AWFUL this year, they come out around 4pm...way early!  I hate em!  I also need a tool-belt, takes so much time to try to get snips, fence tools, screws, zip-ties etc. outta sweat pant pockets.  :-x  I wear sweats cause they are easy to change in/out of in this climate I get pretty dirty! :roll:   Have a great day playing w/bees!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:44 am »
Jody, eeks!!!  Now I am really thinkin' that we are twins!!!  I told my Husband a couple of weeks ago when I was doing stuff in the chickenbarns and he was watching, (and helping a little when he saw me struggling too hard, doing something I could not physically do, he is my hero!!!) that I needed a toolbelt.  Well, I turned my back, and next thing I know he comes down from way up at the house with a toolbelt in tow!!!  What a great man.  Now I have a toolbelt.  I am starting to wonder about myself, I am evolving too, (hee, hee, just like this forum).  Ooops, I am ramblin'.

No, not many mosquitoes yet.  I don't know why, but where we live we don't seem to get too many. Not to say that they aren't around.  I go down near the apiary and they are there in the evening, but not up around our house.  It is kind of weird.  Mosquitoes don't bug me anyways, I rarely are bothered by them.  Bad blood I guess, hee, hee.  Thank goodness, because in the summer my bedroom patio doors are always wide open as are the windows too.  There is a grape vine that grows along the rails on the bedroom patio and I think that also helps to ward off mosquitoes, they can't get through the vine and probably don't detect our carbon dioxide.  It is cool, I get the cool evening breezes that flow through the doors at night.

Hmmm....the topic what "poults flying", wonder where that went?  I am a ramblin'.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, we all be lovin' this life we live.  Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 12:48:49 pm »
Cindi  Your Hubby is a sweet Man for sure.  Mine doesn't do anything in the yard & animals are my thing, he could care less. I just ordered mine from Amazon, by Girl Gear industries..it's pink AND my own pink hammer (part of the$$ goes to fight Breast Cancer). They also have a pink leathermans tool..those are sooo handy to carry riding or keep in the barn/garden area. My dear Husband ALWAYS takes whatever is easiest for him to grab, no matter who's it is.  I'm quite sure he will think 2x bout using a pink anything & if he does I should be able to spot it right away.  Also, the handle is shorter & it's a bit lighter. On a reg hammer I always have to grip further up the handle to balance it for me. AND the belt won't fit around his middle!!  :roll:  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 01:35:22 pm »
Jody, cool, pink is a great colour.  Thinkin' I should get some spray paint (and I am going to do this) that is pink and spray a little pinky stuff on my stuff, especially my tool belt.  That will deter those people that always want to use my tools.  I think that Frantz still has my green snips that JP sent to him, just to bug me, only in transit they somehow turned pink.  Wonder how Frantz likes a pink pair of snips, hee, hee. One day I'll get them back, they both are brats!!!  So is Johnnybigfish.....have that most beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' and groovin' on this great life we all share.  Cindi

anything