Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pecans, Pecans, PECANS!  (Read 3767 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
pecans, Pecans, PECANS!
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:16:33 am »
Georgia is going to have a bumper crop of nuts this year. It a amazes me how some years there will not be a single nut on my trees and then the next year the limbs will be breaking off due to the weight of all the nuts. Acorns are the same on the oak trees. Anyway, we are blessed this year.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: pecans, Pecans, PECANS!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:28:10 am »
Do you sell your pecans or use them for home use?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:38:50 am »
Oh Steve, pecans, you are a lucky soul.  My favourite of all pies is pecan pie.  My oldest Daughter always makes me a pecan pie when we come to visit, with ice cream on the side.  I can't wait!!!!  Wish they grew up here.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day,  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:06:02 pm »
All of the nut trees have had a bumper crop, the hickories around here have outdone themselves!  There's a town somewhere where the local idiot busybody was demanding that the oaks on her street be taken down because of the nuisance acorns, I can't remember where it was, but all I could think of was what a shortsighted fool she was.  Every few years the oaks go wild, and yes, you skitter around on them, but the shade they provide and the amazing fall color, nevermind the habitat for the birds - it's worth the occasional nuisance.

Lucky you with all those pecans.  I'd love to have a tree of them up here, but I don't think they'll make it in our winters.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:14:59 pm »
Ann, I cannot believe that there could be such a person, an "idiot", you well-named her, that would even think about requesting that any tree should be cut down because of the fruit that fall to the ground.  The beauty (and shade that you speak about) that these wonders of nature provide for the human kind (and four legged kind too) are more than we could ever ask for.  This woman should get the "idiot" award for surely. 

Our Beech tree is now beginning to turn its beautiful bronze leaves to the beauty that it glows with this time of year.  I will take a picture later on today when the rain subsides.  It is perfect day for taking pictures when it is cloudy.  Even better, next day when the sun is low on the horizon and it is sunny (if that happens and the leaves are still on the tree) I will take an even more beautiful picture.  This Beech tree is my pride and joy.

In the summertime it provides the most beautiful dense shade, even on a hot summer day (hmmm.....did we have many this past summer), one can sit under the tree and be cool, the beautiful winds that gently blow act like an air conditioner, and the breezes that also blow across the water of the pool accent these winds, bringing loveliness to those warm summer days under the Beech.  Oh dear, here I go again......a'ramblin' I will go.  Oh those dog days of summer, long gone, but will come again before we know it  :) :) :).  Have the best of this beautiful and great life that we live on our planet, Earth.  Cind
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:33:41 pm »
Cindi, I LOVE good pecan pie. My wife also cooks some banana nut bread that is out of this world! I love it with lots of nuts, milk, or coffee.  We have about a dozen or two trees. My mother picks up the nut. She shells them and sell the shelled nuts by the qt. freezer bag. The excess she sells to the local warehouse.
That is how she earns her Christmas spending money. We (my wife and I) are truly blessed since she provides us with all the shelled nuts that we want. They freeze well for use later in the year. I love to go in the freezer and get a handful for a snack. Hum ......  maybe that is why I am getting a little thick around the middle. You think?

Steve

Ps. I also have two large black walnut trees that are LOADED with nuts. We have never harvested them. They are messy and a lot of work for a small reward.   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »
We have the same story here in Oklahoma. Good year for pecans. Last year, the squirrels plucked them off the tree before they were even ready (unheard of around here).  We the had the hardest and longest winter in 45 years last year (it snowed in April! :shock:). How did the squirrels know that was coming in early October? Amazing!

Anyway, I work at a boarding school and the best papershell pecan tree is just outside the boys dorm. For you guys "out there", there is nothing like a fresh pecan straight from the tree. I know because I grew up in the Northwest where pecans came from the store and were smooth and pinkish colored as if they had been refinished by a trim carpenter. Real fresh pecans look nothing like that and are brown with black streaks, and have twice the flavor. Last week, my daughter and I were making an early harvest when the boys came out from choir practice and busted us! Seems they claim the tree as ther own. Anyway, as staff I out-rank them.  :-D
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

anything