Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Label Design  (Read 4977 times)

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Honey Label Design
« on: December 19, 2022, 03:47:44 am »
Hi Folks

I have been using a generic label for my honey for quite a while and I thought it was about time to design my own. The label that I?m using is quite boring and is used by many hobby beekeepers to satisfy food labelling requirements. I know of a local beekeeper who gets his labels professionally printed. They are glossy, well designed and really do look quite good. I do however, have a couple of issues with this label. The first one is the price he pays for them. I consider them to be quite expensive for what they are. This expense either has to be worn by the beekeeper or passed onto the customer. (Or a combination of both) The other issue that I have is that this label is just another good looking label. It contains all the bells and whistles that are required and it does have an impressive appearance. In other words, it fits in well with what people expect to see on a supermarket shelf. I want something a little different and I was wondering if you could help me with the design. Here is a few of my requirements:

1) I want the label to appear as though it is homemade. Obviously all the food labelling requirements such as nutritional information, packaging dates or batch numbers, beekeepers name and address etc, etc will form the basis of the written material but I would like the label to be simple and uncomplicated. When people pick up a jar of my honey and look at the label I would like them to think that this guy is just a small, hobby beekeeper who produces a bit of surplus honey for sale.

2) I don?t want to use coloured inks at all in the design. Everything has to be printed in black.

3) I want the labels to be rectangular and be printed on a low sheen Kraft brown label. (The colour of a brown paper bag)

What I?m trying to say is that the label I want for my honey should be earthy and uninspiring. If you guys can help me get to that point, I would be grateful.

My first request is for a picture of a bee. I would like to take that picture and transform it into a black and white image to include on the label. Do any of you have a photo that I could use? I?m sure that there are some talented people out there who have taken some wonderful shots of bees being bees. If you do have a pic that you have taken that may be suitable for that part of the label,  could you post it here so that we can all have a look at it. My eldest daughter is a part time photographer and web page designer so I can get her involved as well.  She is very good at manipulating images, changing backgrounds etc. I?m sure that she would love to help out. I reckon she will be out in the garden with her camera as soon as I talk to her about this project.  I?m hoping that some of the members out there can help me.

Cheers

Les

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
Re: Honey Label Design
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 05:39:05 am »
Not sure if these are any good, but PM me if you want the full sized images.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 04:00:40 pm »
Amazing photos. Thanks so much Nigel. The first photo is the type of image that I was thinking of. It now comes down to how it will look when it is transformed into a black and white image. I use an app that can modify the style of the image. Not all photos will give the results that are required so I won?t know how it will turn out until I play with it. My daughter uses photoshop and has the skills to remove backgrounds etc. I?ll pop your image into the app and see how it comes out. Will post the results. Thanks again.

Cheers

Les

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 11:44:07 pm »
Here is a couple of Nigel?s photos converted to a black and white line or cartoon type of image. This is where I would like to head towards with a bit

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 01:54:09 pm »
Here is a couple of Nigel?s photos converted to a black and white line or cartoon type of image. This is where I would like to head towards with a bit
Nice!  I'm personally partial to the top one, with the bee on the willow.  I think that would make a wonderful label. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 02:23:39 pm »
All I ask is 10% of all sales :grin: :grin:........

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 03:54:39 pm »
Thank goodness for that. I was going to offer 20 percent. 😁😁😁

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 04:31:47 pm »
Hi Les,

I assume you are going for Back on Brown for environmental reasons?

I actually like labels on Brown paper. I understand that most inks are now "organic" - e.g. vegetable based.

I'm sure that you will look into the costs of such a label carefully. You wil find that brown labels are not cheap.

Having just purchased a new batch of labels, we were blown away by the cost.

We also found out that our " Green printer"  does not own a printer anymore - it is all farmed out to a " Commercial printer".

With a name like " Gold" - I would play on this. We call honey " Liquid Gold'.
Indeed I have been playing with the idea of changing my name to "Gold" - before we met! :smile:
I would have a golden label with black background - people would never forget.

I agree about generic labels - lack fantasy and promotional value.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 07:15:29 pm »
Hi Max

This is all just a bit of play time really. If it works out, I?ll be happy. If it doesn?t, that?s OK as well as it?s mostly time and not much of a financial investment at this stage. I have just ordered some brown, printable sticky labels on EBay. They will cost just over 3 cents each so the price was fine. I intend to use my home printer to start with. If it all works out, I may head towards a thermal label printer where there is no ink costs and the labels themselves are quite cheap.  The big advantage of designing your own labels is they are easy to modify for different weights, honey styles etc. The labels are really just a series of text boxes and images placed on a page and then printed. The initial label design and formatting takes some time but the rest is quite simple. I do like gold on black. It would be interesting to find out the printing costs.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 07:22:18 pm »
Les,
What program are you using to print them?
I?m looking for a good one for windows 10/11 for Judy. She is used to an old Print Shop but the write ups are all terrible.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 07:47:42 pm »
Hi Jim

Not sure at this stage. I may use Word on the laptop or Pages on the iPad. If I use Word, I?ll just download some Avery templates and go from there. It will just come down to how much time is needed to format individual labels.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 05:06:29 am »
I use design pro5 for printing labels. A bit of a faff initially to sort page margins but once done it's good for ever. It was a free programme, not sure if still available but I do have installer if anyone wants to try it.
I  print on a laser printer as it makes the label's waterproof.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 06:30:51 pm »
We have always used Avery on a normal printer.
Allows for adding a batch code that is required by some health authorities.
We had an instance where we were competing with another wholesaler in a retail outlet, we eventually got the whole shelf. when we ask the owner why he didn't stock the other brand anymore, his reply was that our honey out sold the other because our label looked cottage/farm against the professional printed label.
Also the cost of Avery labels is very cheap especially when printed on a basic printer.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 10:20:35 pm »
Good to know Oldbeavo. That was exactly my thinking. You just explained it much better. One of my daughters just gave me full access to her Canva app. I have been using the restricted free version but now there will be more options in relation to design. Looks like Xmas and baby sitting duties may restrict the plannng phase for a few days.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 11:45:49 pm »
We take used jars back ( and pay $1) and then sterilise them.
One thing I learned - use " Low tack" labels.

They are much, much easier to take off.

Enjoy the babysitting - my youngest " baby" ( grandson) is 26...time flies.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 06:12:38 am »
Also we use the same size label for 500g, 1kg, 1 1/2kg and 3kg.
Allows to buy labels in bulk, mostly from Office works.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 03:13:54 pm »
That?s a good idea. I was thinking of using the same design for all labels and just modify a text box for weight and honey type.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 03:59:51 pm »
Lesgold
Exactly right, our batch code is the extraction date, so by honey type and date we can track where honey came from.
Your display of honey will attract customers, not the label.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 06:16:47 pm »
Same here Oldbeavo. I had a bit of time to spare when the grandkids were eating breakfast so there was time to play with an image. This is getting closer to what I?m chasing.

I was able to use a couple of apps to change the colour photo to black and white, remove the background and then almost make it like a cartoon drawing. A bit of rotation on the image and this will approximate what  I visualised.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 05:01:15 am »
With a little bit of down time on my hands, I was able to complete the rough label.

With a few minor improvements and the ability to modify the design as required, I?ll be able to print them off as they are needed. I was also able to get the layout organised on the pages app. on the iPad with a bit of playing. They print off quite well and look acceptable on honey jars. Most of the written material wraps around the side of the containers leaving the major headings and graphic prominent at the front.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 10:25:36 am »
Les,
Looks good. Way more information than we put on our labels.
We put name, phone number, weight and type of honey.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2022, 05:03:58 pm »
Hi Les,
I don't know how big the labels are BUT in the case of a 500gr jar - will people still see the honey?
Also, I never know for sure if it is Spotted Gum or what - mine is generally a natural mix.

One more thing - " Australian" is probably understood. I understand that" local" is the catch phrase of the year.
Why not print a few labels and run them past some of your trusted customers?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 05:56:11 pm »
Looks good Les what type bottle do you use? Do you have a picture of your bottle?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2022, 10:09:48 pm »
Good thinking Max. The reason I posted here was to get ideas from the wizards out there. I will definitely make that change. Thank you for your input. I can also shrink the label if it is too large on the smaller jars. Phillip, I will post a couple of pics next time we bottle some honey. Max?s thoughts may mean a purchase of smaller labels as well.

Many of my flows are a multi floral flow (such as in the spring) but I also have specific flows such as a winter spotted gun or summer iron bark.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 06:53:44 pm »
Hi Folks

The sticky labels are finished. Did a final costing for each label. Each label costs just over three cents to buy and the printing cost of black ink is just under one cent per label. 4 cents per label does not include time spent designing or printing. The beauty about the label is that I can modify it at any time. The sticky labels will be used on plastic pails and squeeze bottles.

Just thought I?d post a pic of what my wife puts on jars. About 5 years ago my eldest daughter designed a label which we still use. It is a swing tag held in place with jute string. Nutrition labels and contact details were then added via other labels to meet requirements.

Over time we started using a lot of commercial labels but still resorted back to this one when ever possible as we liked the crafty, homemade look. I will now use the artwork that was developed for the sticky labels to update this tag to a double sided label. The packaging details, contact info and nutrition detail will be placed on the back of the tag. This will reduce time and make a more attractive label. Size will increase but will be variable according to the jar used. Cost will be about 4.5 cents per label including double sided printing. I will post a pic when the tag is updated.

Cheers

Les

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 02:17:05 am »
Looks very nice.
I'm not sure how a lose label like this would stand up to our packaing? We pack 10 jars into a milk crate.

The huge plus would be...no sticky label to remove.

About Council requirements.
Our council has left us alone so far.
We used to be able to buy Australian made tamper proof jars - no more and we had to change to the metal lid type.

I prefer no to know if we are legally able to take jars back...They seem to find new rules every year.

I know that, legally, we beekeepers here in Qld would have to record each time we touch a hive.
I realise that there are dozens of programes which help you do this. I also know that I 'm past all this.

I gather that an extraction room needs to have a drain, basin...and I have yet to see a local beekeeper who is up with the latest requirements.

Most of my beekeeping mates don't even use a computer.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 02:54:57 am »
Thanks Max. We pack our honey into boxes and they hold up OK. Did a test tag today using the new design and a larger tag than the old one.

The size might be a bit big but the idea seems to work. I can reduce these tags with very little effort and will get more labels to the sheet if I do.  You are right about the regulations. There seems to be more every year. Now that we have varroa in the country, we will have to work a bit harder or smarter to comply. That?s just the way it is.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 09:06:14 am »
I really like the hanging tags for many reasons.  The biggest is that I can recrystallize it if it goes to sugar, without destroying the label.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 10:17:40 am »
I like it very much Les.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:24 am »
You should label it as "gluten free, fat free, dairy free, free range" etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2023, 12:00:44 pm »
You should label it as "gluten free, fat free, dairy free, free range" etc.
:cheesy:  Don't forget "all-natural".  :grin:

Seriously though, that label looks great, Les!  It looks professional but rustic. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
I really like the hanging tags for many reasons.  The biggest is that I can recrystallize it if it goes to sugar, without destroying the label.

Michael - you can recrystalize honey even with a lable.
I use an insulated box with a heater people use to keep Lizzards in terariums ( they have temperature control)
I set the control just below 40C.
It takes a couple of days but the honey turns back to liquid with no damage to the label.

Old chest freezers would work well with a small heating element.
max

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2023, 11:24:56 am »
I have put them in my car in the summer with the windows up... but it doesn't work so well in the winter...
-------------------

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2023, 04:48:23 pm »
I have put them in my car in the summer with the windows up... but it doesn't work so well in the winter...

You have to move to a place with warmer winters!  :grin:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 08:46:03 am »
A nice day in winter here is 20 F (-6 C).  Though once in a while it warms up more for a day or two.  A cold day in Nebraska -40 F (-40 C).
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2023, 08:29:16 pm »
A nice day in winter here is 20 F (-6 C).  Though once in a while it warms up more for a day or two.  A cold day in Nebraska -40 F (-40 C).

Goodness thats cold! Your weather is similar to TheHoneyPumps!  I suppose a person has to find humor in times like these!

From the humor section:   :wink:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 07:03:52 pm »
Hi Folks

Just a bit of an update on the honey label designs. After playing with apps on the iPad for quite a while now, I now have the process pretty well sorted. Modifications now literally take me a couple of minutes to have ready for printing. Swing tags of various sizes and styles or sticky labels can now be printed while I?m sitting having a coffee. Data such as honey types or batch dates can be changed quickly. This means that my wife and I don?t have to write anything at all on the labels. I now have to scope to change anything at a moments notice without any fuss. Although it was a learning process initially, the time spent has paid dividends already. I would recommend going through this exercise to anyone who has a few basic computing skills.

Cheers

Les

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2023, 03:27:20 pm »
I use waterproof labels.  They're a more expensive but always look great, withstand warming, cleaning, and look great even with honey on them.  Plus, with their stronger adhesive, they will outlast the product so when my customers need to buy more, the label is still there and still easily readable so they know who to return to.  :happy:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2023, 03:35:45 pm »
That?s quite a valid point. Do you print your own or are they commercially made? I did look at them a couple of years ago but they were very expensive in my local area. The larger companies in the big cities may be able to make them for a cheaper price. Large print runs also helped to reduce label costs.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2023, 04:14:14 am »
If you use a laser printer (set on extra thick paper) then any standard paper labels will withstand going through a dishwasher. i.e as waterproof as you need them.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2023, 12:01:16 pm »
That?s quite a valid point. Do you print your own or are they commercially made? I did look at them a couple of years ago but they were very expensive in my local area. The larger companies in the big cities may be able to make them for a cheaper price. Large print runs also helped to reduce label costs.

I laser-print print my own.  Avery's Weatherproof White Film labels are my go-to (Product #5523 (2x4") for most jars).  They cost 7 cents per label, plus toner...likely about 8.5 cents all-inclusive for most label designs.  So long as I'm at 10 cents or less per label, I'm happy.

I have other sizes of the same weatherproof labels as well for smaller jars for wedding favors etc. that we customize labels for.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2023, 02:28:18 pm »
The description of the label you want is almost identical to what I wanted when I first had mine designed. My original design came from Amy?s Labels some years ago.  She and I did it together at the time.  Unfortunately, she?s no longer doing it to my knowledge.

So I went to Vistaprint with my original and they did an update with me in real time. Design services are very cheap.  A session with live screen share is about $10.  They have countless templates, designs, fonts. And even more design ideas!  They will come back with several designs from your verbal descriptions.  And they will design yours from scratch.  You get 3 free redos too! I highly recommend them.  Give them a call.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 02:45:21 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2023, 06:47:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

Haven?t posted in this thread for quite a while so I thought I?d give you a bit of an update. The beauty of designing your own labels is that they can be altered and changed when ever the need arises. I reckon since I started this thread about 50 different styles and sizes of label have been attempted and used. Over time I have experimented with a range of ideas and have finally stopped making changes and have settled on exactly what I feel comfortable with. Feedback from customers has also helped. I use sticky labels on small jars and squeeze bottles but everything else is a 60mm swing tag. They dress up an ordinary looking jar and give a rustic look (which was an initial design constraint) I compete with two other honey sellers at my local markets and I want my jars to look a bit different. I can get 12 labels from an A4 sheet of card with a small amount of waste. The nutritional information etc is printed on the back of the tag. I found an informal, irregular and rustic border that I like which has the advantage of making the label cutting a simple process. Any slight errors in cutting out the label are not obvious and it is a real-time saver as you can trim the labels quickly. I now have a series of templates according to honey style and weight of the jar. The time spent on labelling has now been reduced to a point where it is actually a simple and enjoyable process.