Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another one down.  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Another one down.
« on: January 03, 2020, 05:38:21 pm »
Went out today after the freak windstorm we had yesterday and found that another hive died. They got small and the cold got to them. Wasn't starvation because the hive is full of honey and I took a bit to make some pancakes but will leave the rest for this years bees. Super sad and fingers crossed the other two make it. It hit 60 degrees today. Wow.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Another one down.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:34:36 pm »
I Know the feeling Xerox.  Indeed sad.  Come Spring, you can split and recover your bees.  Part of beekeeping is enduring a loss, that is the sad part.  Try to figure reasons for the loss and keep going forward.  Spring is soon to come and the warm, happy, gentle buzz of the honeybees will bring comfort.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 08:51:47 pm »
I Know the feeling Xerox.  Indeed sad.  Come Spring, you can split and recover your bees.  Part of beekeeping is enduring a loss, that is the sad part.  Try to figure reasons for the loss and keep going forward.  Spring is soon to come and the warm, happy, gentle buzz of the honeybees will bring comfort.
Van

I'm also getting a package shipped in so that will up the numbers. This gives work will not go to waste.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:09:39 am »
If we have bees fall in numbers and may only cover 4-5 frames in an 8 frame hive, we will take out frames and pack the gap with polystyrene.
So in fact we make a 4 or 5 frame nuc in an 8 frame hive.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:55:16 pm »
If we have bees fall in numbers and may only cover 4-5 frames in an 8 frame hive, we will take out frames and pack the gap with polystyrene.
So in fact we make a 4 or 5 frame nuc in an 8 frame hive.

That's a good idea

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 08:47:05 pm »
Mr. Beavo, are you and family safe from the horrific fires that are burning in Australia?
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 09:09:49 am »
Early winter colony loss
Failure to make winter bees

Causes
Bad queen
PMS.....mites
Not enough pollen in fall bees couldn't make fat bodies.
Nosema

Can be all of the above

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 05:55:21 pm »
Hi Mr Van
We are well away from the fires.
There have been hives lost in the fires, one BK was reported to have lost 500. Plus there has been a lot of honey country burnt that will take 30-50 years to return to production.
Fires have burnt about 7 million acres so far.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 08:31:36 pm »
Good for you Mr. Beavo.  As far as the wildfires and Australia, I am speechless:  I do not have words to express my sympathies:  11,000 square miles of burn, there are not words to describe.

Van

Offline MarkJ

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
"one BK was reported to have lost 500" - What a massive loss :(

anything