Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do about the European Hornet  (Read 2427 times)

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
What to do about the European Hornet
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »
The European Hornet is the largest hornet in North America.  It offers a great number of benefits including consumption of other hornets and wasps.  This sounds like a good thing to keep around... then I discover they will also prey on honey bees.  Not good.  Appearantly they can wipe out entire hives in days.  I have a fairly large number of these European Hornets  around.  Does anyone else have experience with these as far as them being a hive pest or if they'll choose other food instead if available.  If these are a danger, what control methods (preferably organic) are available that work well?  I haven't tried trapping them yet as they sound good to have around...  aside from eating my bees.  :)
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline pumpkin vine creek

• New Bee
Re: What to do about the European Hornet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:32 pm »
I have read were they do eat honey bees, but have never seen it. Some years i have European hornets around, but they always seem to ignore my bees, as far as I know. This year I see a least 1 everyday for about the last month, I hope they continue to leave my bees alone.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:03:39 pm »
I open feed and they eat right beside my bees. I've never seen one take a bee.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »
I gotta agree with my friend iddee again.  While not much of a threat to the bees, hornets and wasps decimate caterpillars like the ones that turn into this: