Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Melbourne, Australia  (Read 2039 times)

Offline chartekat

• New Bee
Hello from Melbourne, Australia
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:07:19 am »
Hello!
I inherited some bees when a friend who asked to place his hive in my garden got posted to England(!). I was too afraid to go near them for nearly 6 months but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm still a new-bee to this art so every hive inspection is a bit nerve wracking. But now that spring might be knocking on the door (hard to tell in Melbourne) I tried to do an inspection. Didn't complete as clouds blew in and started to drizzle. I did find mold on one frame in the top box (I've got 2 Langstroth ideal boxes), plus some fat slugs! Is this something I need to help the bees by throwing the moldy frame out? I  realized that the original position of hive was not good since my neighbour's pine tree grew so big it was blocking most of the winter sun. I've relocated the hive to a new sunnier spot and have seen bee activity but cannot tell if the population is good or weak since I have no benchmark.
Also, every couple of days I see about a dozen dead bees near the entrance. Is that normal?
Would love to hear your thoughts about what to do with moldy frames.
Thanking you all in anticipation of learning from you!

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 08:37:52 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Dead bees in front of the hive in spring is normal.
Moldy frames are not a problem, not enough bees to cover drawn comb is. Bees can clean moldy comb. If you have an entire super empty and the bees don?t fill one box up, remove the super.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:57:08 pm »
Hi Chartekat,

Where about in Melbourne are you? I am up in Sunbury, if you are less than 5km from me i can offer some assistance (although i am fairly new myself, its only my second year)
Once the bans are lifted and we can travel more than 5km you might be able to find someone close to you to or a mentor that can help

It sounds silly, but the best results i have found when inspecting is to be confident, have a plan and be prepared (ie have your tools ready, have your smoker full so it doesn't run out, if you think you need to change some frames have them handy)

And welcome!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 08:27:21 am »
Glad you joined. It gets much easier and more confident as you go.

Offline chartekat

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 02:38:09 am »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.
Ralphee, I'm too far away but thank you. I reckon just having the support and knowhow of people on this forum is v helpful and eases my nervousness/worry!
Been checking the weather just waiting for some semblance of spring sunshine so I can do a proper inspection.
The bees are doing their level best to forage amidst the blustery conditions and rain. I don't see much pollen on their legs so am assuming that its nectar gathering at the moment?... or is the focus on nectar-gathering a function of the colony trying to give itself enough energy just to survive rather than build up the population?
Wishing all a good weekend.

anything