Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many stings to build up tolerance?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
How many stings to build up tolerance?
« on: June 18, 2016, 09:07:50 am »
I almost suffered a disaster last night and it was mainly my fault. I went out to the bee yard with just a veil on and took a sting on the leg. No big deal. I thought my ex-wife was going to take my son for the last night and Saturday but she bailed on us again for some reason or another. She blamed the weather and her mother was supposed to be with her. So thinking I was going to be all alone last night I took a benedryl right when I got home. Well two hours later I was super groggy trying to get up with her with a 9 month old crawling around. She bailed I called my mom and the problem was solved. We both crashed at her house. (we only live miles apart and the wife left us when the baby was 4 months old after 5 years of marriage). Needless to say I can't be in that situation again so how long does it take to build up tolerance to where be stings do not swell or itch or should I just bite the bullet and always suit up and also sell my house and move in with my parents. Being a single parent is super hard.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How many stings to build up tolerance?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 09:36:15 am »
Wallace,
Put Benedryl and hydrocortisone cream on the bites every time. I did that and it did not take long before I stopped reacting.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:43:22 am »
Thanks. I have an ultrabreeze but even still it is just to hot to suite up every time.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:41:06 pm »
If I get stung (in the yard) I grab some grass and rub it on the sting. The grass helps hide the pheromone so the other bees do not attack. Most parts of my body the sting is just a nuisance, but on others (think thin soft skin) I still swell after 55 years working with bees. The trick I use is to not disturb the bees unless I need to and only then go slow, soft and with respect. If I need to go deeper then two boxes, I do wear my jacket and veil.   Good luck,  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 10:08:33 am »
This is a medical topic.  Each person will build tolerance in their own method.  My suggestion, and it will be costly, is to go to an allergist and they can work up your tolerance.  Many old Beeks need a few stings each year to rebuild up their tolerance. 

Usually benadryl makes me so sleepy I also cannot function, but when I get stings and take it, I don't get groggy, I assume this is because I need the medication...allergy to stings.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 11:58:45 am »
Try finding the full bug suit that fisherman get. It has pants and jacket with hood. I live in GA. With the heat and humidity that we have had this month it has worked great. No stings ware those light nylon hunting pants with the net pants and you will be cool. You can ware the jacket with light shirt and ballcap fits well under the hood. I got mine at wally world on close out for 7.00 each. Bought 6. Check online you may find them

John

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:32:06 pm »
thanks for the tips. I am not allergic just a first year beek with a 9 month old to care for. Anything that makes me sleepy to deal with the itching is not an option for me.

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
This is a medical topic.  Each person will build tolerance in their own method.  My suggestion, and it will be costly, is to go to an allergist and they can work up your tolerance.

In my opinion this is the best advice on this thread yet. I do hope you the best in all your beekeeping Adventures..  :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
Your problem wasn't the sting, it was the benedryl...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 02:10:50 pm »
ditto on the benedryl. Back when I was experiencing sleeping problems I'd take it to make me go to sleep.

Sorry to hear about your ol lady. Thank God for good parents!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
+1 on the Benadryl being the issue.....man up ....accept the pain and the itch ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline tjswingle

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 11:23:19 pm »
Anyone ever try tobacco?  I saw a guy use a tobacco pouch of snuff on a child that was stung a couple weeks ago in NC, and it seemed to work. I usually just suffer through the sting...many times, depending on the location on the body, I don't have seem to have an issue with the stings. I've convened myself thy are "therapeutic" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 12:55:12 am »
I had a similar concern. The first month I had my bees I was stung 5 or 6 times, no reaction at all. Then I got one in my palm, a little puffiness, slight swelling. The next one was on my ear, it swelled to twice its normal size, swelling in my cheek and neck for 6 days, affected my hearing.

The next week I got a sting near my elbow, instant swelling. I was concerned I was becoming allergic to my bees.

I found the following on http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

I was not becoming allergic, I was becoming immune. The swelling on my elbow only lasted 3 days. I was stung last Friday, just a little puffiness, was gone in a day.

"What Everyone Needs to Know About Bee Stings

a Beekeeper's Perspective

Immunity to Bee Stings

Seasoned beekeepers experience virtually no reaction to stings and generally ignore occasional stings in their daily work. Beekeepers still feel the sting the same as anyone else, but since they are not worried about stings, the sensation is soon forgotten. Normally good beekeepers wear a veil to prevent stings to the face, but work with bare hands and receive occasional stings to the wrists and hands.

People who have never been stung by a bee often have no itching or swelling at first. After a number of stings most people begin to itch more and swell at the location of the sting. Sometimes the swelling can be quite extreme (and comical if it occurs on the face), however swelling is a normal reaction in someone who is developing immunity, and only lasts until immunity is developed.

Immunity to bee stings builds up fairly quickly in most people. After several weeks of occasional stings, the reactions diminish, itching is no longer a problem, and swelling is much reduced.

Immunity can fade over periods of time without stings such as over winter. Some sensitivity is not uncommon for the first few stings after such a period, even for beekeepers with immunity."

I use several species of plants on stings, most are in the Plantago genus, common name is plantain.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:45 am »
I had a similar concern. The first month I had my bees I was stung 5 or 6 times, no reaction at all. Then I got one in my palm, a little puffiness, slight swelling. The next one was on my ear, it swelled to twice its normal size, swelling in my cheek and neck for 6 days, affected my hearing.

The next week I got a sting near my elbow, instant swelling. I was concerned I was becoming allergic to my bees.

I found the following on http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

I was not becoming allergic, I was becoming immune. The swelling on my elbow only lasted 3 days. I was stung last Friday, just a little puffiness, was gone in a day.

"What Everyone Needs to Know About Bee Stings

a Beekeeper's Perspective

Immunity to Bee Stings

Seasoned beekeepers experience virtually no reaction to stings and generally ignore occasional stings in their daily work. Beekeepers still feel the sting the same as anyone else, but since they are not worried about stings, the sensation is soon forgotten. Normally good beekeepers wear a veil to prevent stings to the face, but work with bare hands and receive occasional stings to the wrists and hands.

People who have never been stung by a bee often have no itching or swelling at first. After a number of stings most people begin to itch more and swell at the location of the sting. Sometimes the swelling can be quite extreme (and comical if it occurs on the face), however swelling is a normal reaction in someone who is developing immunity, and only lasts until immunity is developed.

Immunity to bee stings builds up fairly quickly in most people. After several weeks of occasional stings, the reactions diminish, itching is no longer a problem, and swelling is much reduced.

Immunity can fade over periods of time without stings such as over winter. Some sensitivity is not uncommon for the first few stings after such a period, even for beekeepers with immunity."

I use several species of plants on stings, most are in the Plantago genus, common name is plantain.

Some of your information is incorrect and someone might just die because of what you stated.  Allergies build.  First sting will never cause an allergic reaction so long as never had contact with the venom.  Building a tolerance should show no skin reaction, meaning there is no systemic release of histamine.  If one is allergic and continues to get stings, it will build to anaphalyxis.

FOLKS please stop giving medical advice unless you have the training.  The internet is not completely factual.  Do not continue to tell folks they are or are not allergic, that is a doctors decision.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »
Some of your information is incorrect and someone might just die because of what you stated.  Allergies build.  First sting will never cause an allergic reaction so long as never had contact with the venom.  Building a tolerance should show no skin reaction, meaning there is no systemic release of histamine.  If one is allergic and continues to get stings, it will build to anaphalyxis.

FOLKS please stop giving medical advice unless you have the training.  The internet is not completely factual.  Do not continue to tell folks they are or are not allergic, that is a doctors decision.
Couldn't agree more - there is nothing worse than laypeople giving medical advice, especially if it's something they read on the internet.

As an aside, I disagree that allergies will build to anaphylaxis. Sure that can happen, but it won't necessarily. When I got two stings to my fingers in two days my hand swelled up quite large, and my fingers were very swollen. This is beyond the 'normal' beesting reaction (I would call it an allergic reaction, just the same as an itchy red mozzie bite is technically an allergy), so are you saying I'm going to become anaphylactic one day? I hope you're wrong on that one!

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:27 am »
I did not intend to say they will build to an allergy, I was describing the process for allergies to begin.  Even with allergies, one can be treated to get a tolerance. 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.