Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: FONDANT QUESTION  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ldeano

• House Bee
FONDANT QUESTION
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:43:37 pm »
I was wondering if any bought fondant from a store or bakery to feed their hives, instead of making it.  Is there any dangers or issues you would have to watch out for?
thanks
Dean
PHD in "learned that the hard way" lol

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: FONDANT QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »
Food services make fondant two ways. One with corn starch and one sugar only. Be sure you get the sugar only. Corn starch will give the bees dysentery.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »

I once tried 'fondant icing' from a supermarket as a test. It contained vanilla flavouring and some kind of oil or fat (forget which, the ol' memory isn't what it was), and the bees wouldn't touch it - so it went straight in the bin.

The Baker's Fondant I now use is made from cane sugar with a few percent of glucose added as a plasticiser - and that's all. No other added ingredients - and no problems with using it.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline ldeano

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:13:34 am »
thank yall for the info.  that was what I was looking for.  I will try to find the cane sugar fondant.
PHD in "learned that the hard way" lol

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything