Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking at getting into Beekeeping in NE Victoria  (Read 2340 times)

Offline sammbo

• Brood
Looking at getting into Beekeeping in NE Victoria
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:50:12 am »
Hi everyone,

My name is Sam. I'm looking at getting into beekeeping in North East Victoria. I've been given an empty flow hive by a mutual friend but other than reading up on the internet and watching video's, I'm a bit unsure how to get started.

I'm just looking at some feedback on time of year to get started for my area, and the best way for me to source a colony, hopefully locally. The largest city to myself is Albury/Wodonga about 1 hour away.

I appreciate any help.

Kind regards,

Sam

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Looking at getting into Beekeeping in NE Victoria
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:45:02 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
The best time to get bees is in early spring.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 02:42:06 pm »
Hi Sam and welcome.  Have you checked around to see if there are any beekeeping clubs nearby?  In my opinion, the best way to get into beekeeping is with a mentor to guide you along.  They can also potentially provide you with bees for your hive as well as ensure you're operating well and within the law of your area.  Local clubs are a great resource to find a mentor.

This site seems to have useful information for your area, especially for those just getting started regarding registration and legal responsibilities:
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/honey-bees/compliance-and-management/hobby-beekeeping

There seem to bee several members recently active on the forum from Melbourne.  Hopefully they or others nearby can chime in and give you some guidance.

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:59:46 am »
I am over in Sunbury VIC, so not exactly local for you either (Albury is a solid 3 hours drive for me)
Lots of videos to watch and books to read, but having someone nearby who is already a keeper and willing to give you advice is best, a club for be great if
Probably too late in the season to start a new hive (to cold and they don't have long enough to prepare for the colder winter months)

You could have a look on https://aussieapiaristsonline.net/bee-clubs-in-victoria.html to see if there are any clubs near you

Offline KellyBeeFriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:15:50 am »
Hi sambo, I?m also in NE vic. Where are you?  There?s a beekeeping north east vic apiarist association https://www.neaa.com.au/ in spring they hold Swanpool Bee Day so make sure you sign up to their mailing list. It?s a great day out and they have lots of courses for beekeepers new and old. You can pick up gear there and meet beekeepers where you to get some local bees to get you started right, maybe even find a mentor to close to you.
Keep Calm and Keep Bees

anything