Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Second Hive Body on New Package  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Second Hive Body on New Package
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:26:05 am »
Good morning!

Inspected both hives this weekend to assess the progress of drawn comb production and was surprised at the speed that one hive was making.  Both packages were hived on April 20. 

During the prior week's inspection, I had about five frames drawn in both hives so I was expecting to add the second hive body this weekend.  When I inspected one of the hives, I found 7-8 frames drawn with all kinds of brood, honey, and pollen.  Popped a second hive body on this first hive, refilled the sugar syrup and closed it up.

In the second hive, I found nine frames drawn and all kinds of activity going on!  Soooooo.......a second hive body went on top of THIS hive along with a refill of sugar syrup definitely!

My concern with this second hive is that I noticed a couple of bumps in the drawn out comb at the botton of one of the frames.  The "bumps" were horizontal and were laying along the bottom bar.  They did not appear to have the typical shape of a swarm cell based upon the pictures that I have seen (my first year) but it concerns me.  The pictures of supercede and swarm cells that I have seen are verticle and hanging from the side or bottom of a frame.  I was not able to get any pictures but perhaps I can during this weekend's inspection.

Any clues as to what I may have been looking at?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Re: Second Hive Body on New Package
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
I can't answer your question, but it's pretty satisfying when you can add that second super, isn't it?  :)
Brenda

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:12:48 am »
Any clues as to what I may have been looking at?

If the cells looked like a peanut, then it's a queen cell.  Swarm cells are typically on the bottom and being that this is a new package and it seems like you are doing the right thing in giving them space, I highly doubt it's a swarm cell.  My bet is that the bumps are drone cells and nothing to be concerned about.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:20:50 pm »
BB,

Yeah, it was great to be able to add that second story!  Now, the hives are beginning to look like HIVES instead of just a box on the stand!

TB
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »
Bassman,

They really didn't look like a peanut to me either but since they were drawing the 9th and 10th frames, I am concerned that they may feel crowded.  Perhaps the bumps were some sort of deformed burr comb!  I plan to keep a watch on those bumps when I inspect this weekend.

Thanks for your input!

TB

anything