Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baby drone bees stupid question  (Read 1550 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Baby drone bees stupid question
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:16:55 pm »
I can recognize full grown drones by their larger size, but with them just soon to start emerging how can you tell baby ones? Is there an easy way?

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Baby drone bees stupid question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:22:50 pm »
I should think they would emerge as larger bees than workers.  Unlike mammals, I think they are "born" pretty close to full size.  I could be wrong on this, though.  Queens undergo some changes after mating, however, so that's different.  Can someone correct me if I'm off base on this, please?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:28:09 pm »
you can tell by looking. they have the same demisions as adult drones. short cubby abdomins they look fatter than workers even when new born.

john

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:58:44 pm »
Was the hive completely full of drawn comb and not enough available drone comb?  That is the only thing I can think of.  The size of the bee is dependent on the comb size.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 05:35:36 pm »
Was the hive completely full of drawn comb and not enough available drone comb?  That is the only thing I can think of.  The size of the bee is dependent on the comb size.

No. The hive has a lot of capped drone brood but I don't think by any means its to much. I may of miss spoke as to say the hive was completely full of drone, when I meant to say there was some capped drone brood. Maybe 5 to 10% of the total hive. Just trying to figure out what young drones look like. I no last summer they were easy to spot because of there larger size.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:43:27 am »
The best way to tell if a bee is a drone or not is by the eyes. Drone eyes are fully touching together where as workers have hair between them.
Young drones are fussier than the older ones. They are borne close to full size.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:13:35 am »
Young bees of all castes are fuzzy pretty much all over but particularly on their back.  Older bees have a smooth spot on their back where the fuzz is gone.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything