Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling price for hives  (Read 3789 times)

Offline JimW

• New Bee
Selling price for hives
« on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:07 am »
Hi all,
I live in a suburban area. Last weekend my neighbours (who for the last couple of years had no problems from my hives) came over and said they had a problem. They had a clump of bees on the ground in their back yard that had bitten them and their new puppy.
I cleaned up the mess, and while doing so told me that this year they had copped a lot of grief from bees. They had relatives with allergies bitten etc. it was the first I'd heard of it.
The next day I looked up and realised a swarm had settled in a gum tree about 15-20 metres above the clump of dead bees.
Today the bees swarmed off again while I was trying to dislodge it, and vanished into thin air.

They told me all about how the first two years I had the hives they had no problems, but over the last year they had been stung repeatedly and could no longer go in their backyard comfortably and they were worried about their puppy. They and their puppy had been stung heaps. Meanwhile on my side we had no problems, my kids had only been stung if they stepped on a dead bee.

I've told them I will get rid of them. What is the best way to sell them, or should I give them away? They have been good producers and have been requeened every two years. Appreciate any thoughts. I've had a quick look on gumtree and the prices there for existing hives seem very inconsistent. I'm in the suburbs of Sydney. I'm devastated to sell them but it's more important to me that I have happy neighbours. I don't want to rip anyone off - including myself! Thanks

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Selling price for hives
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:39 am »
G'day JimW,
                    Have your family or yourself been troubled by your bees ?  If not surely there must be another reason for your neighbours problem. Are you not getting rumbles from other families around you. It will be interesting furhter replies to your post and I will be watching with interest.
                                                                                   Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Dalon

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:37:27 am »
Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that, I'm hoping not to have the same problem now that I have expanded my hive numbers this year. As a guide, Hornsby beekeeping are selling packages somewhere around $150-170 with a waiting list. I don't think you would have a problem selling well established colonies on gumtree, including the second-hand costs of hives and equipment. For a total price, you will have to use your judgement.

Leon

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:11:24 pm »
Hi Jim,
Before you get rid of your bees, I would check to see if your neighbor has a yellow jacket nest in their yard.
I was called by a neighbor complaining about being stung by my bees and I went down there and found a very agressive YJ hive.
Here a single deep hive box and bees would go for about $250.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:12:30 pm »
Ask them if they have had to remove stingers.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »
Is it out of the question to locate a patch of land to rent just outside of town ?
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Miikeboyle

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »
Hey there. I live in the Sutherland shire and am just getting into beekeeping. I don't have any bees yet but have joined The local amature club and am on the swarm list. If you decide to sell the bees and you come to a price send me a message and let me know how much as I am insterested. Thanks.

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 11:24:28 pm »
Thanks all for your replies:

Geoff: No we haven't really had any problems. In three years I've only been stung once when I wasn't working on them, and the kids have only been stung when they've stepped on one on the ground. No other rumbles around me.

Dalon: Thanks for the info. I bought my package for $100 from them three years ago. Seems interest must be increasing!

Sawdust: It was definitely bees. They have all been stung. They are a nice family and were very supportive of the bees in the first few years so I know they aren't being jerks. I think their main concern is that they have a new puppy who was hammered. They also have family gatherings at night and have old style spotlights for lighting which attracts them.

Littlejohn: That would be ideal but don't really have the time or money for that at the moment. That's the long term dream anyway!

Miikeboyle: I'll be in touch

Thanks
Jim

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:53 pm »
How about a friend who could host them for you? even if just for a period of time? see if the issue goes away or not... there's nothing to say that there's another neighbour in the area that doesn't have an aggressive hive. They may also want to have a good look around their yard and check that a colony hasn't setup shop somewhere in their property i.e. compost bin, wall, wine barrel etc - you never know. It's odd that you've had no issues but they have.

anything