Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: LOTS of queen cells  (Read 2194 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
LOTS of queen cells
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:12:52 am »
So I opened up my hive today.  About 2 weeks ago I was afraid that I was queenless, so I got a frame of brood and eggs for a friend, only to find out when I put it in that a queen had started working hard and lots was going on in the hive. 

WHen I opened it up today i counted at least 50 queen cells some capped some not, but they are all in the middle of frames as if they are supercedure cells.  Anyone have an idea as to what's going on in my hive?  Is this normal? 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: LOTS of queen cells
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:49:22 am »
What's your set up, are you using starter strips or foundation? If its naturally drawn comb you could see swarm cells anywhere, not that I'm saying this is what you have.

If foundation, swarm cells are generally on the bottom of the frames.

You may just have bees that really wanted a queen and when you introduced all the brood they tried making one, hence all the queen cells.

50 is a lot.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:50:57 am »
I have one hive that not only swarmed, but also had at least two supercedures already.  GAH!   :-x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:28 am »
Are you sure they are queen cells.  That would be a very large number.  Could they be drone cells instead? 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:55:25 pm »
What's your set up, are you using starter strips or foundation? If its naturally drawn comb you could see swarm cells anywhere, not that I'm saying this is what you have.

If foundation, swarm cells are generally on the bottom of the frames.

You may just have bees that really wanted a queen and when you introduced all the brood they tried making one, hence all the queen cells.

50 is a lot.

...JP

I'm using solid plastic frames.  All except for maybe 1 are in the middle of the frames.  It does seem that 50 would be a lot, that's why I am trying to figure out what's going on.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
Are you sure they are queen cells.  That would be a very large number.  Could they be drone cells instead? 

No question in my mind that they are queen cells.  I have some drone cells too, and these are definitely queen cells.

If they are trying to supercede the queen, at what point in time do they eliminate the old queen? 

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:21 am »
They may leave the old queen indefinitely.  Some people think two queen hives are much more common than we realize.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain