Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Scotch Broom  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Scotch Broom
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:42 am »
Hey again!
We go TONS of Scotch Broom in our area and it's TOTALLY in bloom right now.  Is this a good source of nector? I haven't seen any other flowers in our area besides buttercup and some wild daisies.  I've noticed my bees hauling in massive white pollen pellets (almost pea sized).  Kinda wondering where it's coming from.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Re: Scotch Broom
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:57:28 pm »
I'm not sure on the Scotch Broom. Just watch if lots of bees are entering the hive without any pollen on them. Either they are carrying water, or nectar, or taking their first flights. Also, remember bees often go up to a 2 miles radius away from the hive finding nectar. You can always plant your own flowers too.

:-D

Jake

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »
My bees dont touch my scotch broom that I've seen.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:52:48 pm »
I've read online that bees like scotch broom and I remember seeing mason and bumble bees all over them.  I havent had the time watch the flowers and see if my girls are visiting them.  We live out in the country and the wild flora is pretty much the same for miles around, not counting people's gardens.  Blackberries are in bloom right now too, that might be where the white pollen is coming from.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13