Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: kinect? report from traction  (Read 7597 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
kinect? report from traction
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:27:53 pm »
anyone have one.  like it or not?  best games?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:13:11 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: kinect?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »
I was a beta tester for it.  I don't like it for regular games.  Just doesn't feel right for some reason to me.  However with that being said I do like some of the sports that are out for it.  Kinect Sports is fun with a group of friends or by yourself football, soccer, bowling, and volleyball are a few of the fun ones.  Kinect is also good for the workout/dance type of games.

All in all I don't know if I would give the $200 that they are charging for them.  It just isn't worth that much to me.  This is just my opinion only others may disagree.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:05:57 pm by jmblakeney »
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:10 pm »
99 bucks on newegg today.  i suspect they make most of their money on the games.  that's what ebay if for!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 02:11:06 pm »
I think it is overpriced so I don't have it. My wife's friend has one and enjoys the dancing games. I'm not into that. As for fun games without kinect, I like Skyrim and Fallout.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »
fallout is great.  have not tried skyrim yet.  by the time i get around to playing games they have been out awhile.  the + is that i can pick them up on ebay for a fraction of the original coast!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: kinect? report from traction
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:59 pm »
went and got it because it was marked down so much.  have been playing with it for the PM.  i work out.  bike, treadmill, weights, + the work around here.

i hurt.

i think this will be a good addition to my workouts.....as long as no one is watching  :-D  not sure i like those random pics with the "cute" captions!

also tried one of the dance demo games.  now i remember why i don't dance.  also reminds me of why i had such a hard time finding my left when we marched  :shock:

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:43:31 am »
not sure i like those random pics with the "cute" captions!

Be sure and upload some of those action shots on here. :-D

Those are some of the most embarassing photos.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:10:50 pm »
Once upon a time I did a "review" of sorts about the kinect:  http://www.godihatepeople.com/index.php/archives/8-xbox-kinect-is-a-steaming-pile-of-poo

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »
the games it came with are kind of hokey.  i have dumped netflix home delivery for gamefly.  i refuse to spend 60 bucks on a game and then find out i don't like it...or finish it and never play it again.  i used to buy them on ebay when the got down to the 20 dollar range...but again, i end up with a pile of games that don't get played again.

when i got gamefly, i looked at the kinect stuff.  the workout programs are great.  have not tried any of the other things for it yet.  i noticed a huge improvement in software from 2010 to now.  your review is right about hardware.

to be honest, i don't play much of anything in the summer.  our winters are so long and nasty that games are a good way to pass some time on gloomy days.  when i get board with games from gamefly, i'll reactivate my WOW account   :evil:

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:31 pm »
I doubt I'll ever get back into WoW.  I'm not much into PVP, and the PVE is pretty repetitive.  SWTOR was semi-decent (I liked the storyline aspect) until you get to the end-game.  Its endgame is just flat weak.

And yet, I seem to be able to play Mario Kart Wii endlessly... Dunno what's wrong with me.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:25 pm »
i'm old and easily entertained  :-D  i play games on easy mode and skip the frustration of frequent death!

i like WOW because i can walk away from it for months then pick it back up when i have time. 

haven't tried star wars yet, but my son has encouraged me to take a crack at it.