Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Solar Wax Melter info  (Read 2392 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Solar Wax Melter info
« on: September 17, 2023, 05:20:05 pm »
A member sent me a PM requesting information about my solar wax melter.
Here is the same info.
My solar wax melter is rather simple to build. First I found a large rectangular stainless steel pan with 5? sides. You can replace this with a cheap tin pan from Walmart. I cut a 2? wide on the high side, by 1? high slot, on both side, in the middle of the narrow end. You flatten out the piece that you cut to make a ramp or the wax to flow over. I put a small piece of screen over the slot.
I made a box that the pan would fit in plus enough space for another small pan that goes under the cut in the big pan. You want the pan to sit on an angle so that the wax runs down the pan and drips through the cut. You want at least 1/2? of water in the small pan for honey and trash to separate out.
I made the bottom of the box with one inch thick insulation board and 1? by 12? boards for the sides. This gives it extra strength and a place to screw the hinge for the top to.
For the top, I found a piece of thick glass, the thicker the better, and using 2?by 4? cedar that lays flat on top. I mitered the corners, with long screws holding the boards together, and cut a slot in the middle for the glass to fit in. I also added a board on the left side that I can pick up and it holds the top open.

For a temporary solar wax melter, put a piece of glass over a pan with the slot and tip it up on an angle and put another pan under it with the water. I?ve seen people use old ice chest with a glass cover.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Solar Wax Melter info
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:21:37 pm »
More pictures
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything