Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mann lake top feeder inserts  (Read 2124 times)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Mann lake top feeder inserts
« on: July 10, 2020, 02:59:54 pm »
Has anyone used these? I need to buy several feeders for the fall and trying to save some money but I do t want to buy them if there?s a lot of issues with bees drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Mann lake top feeder inserts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:53:48 pm »
They are excellent for making burr comb filled honey :wink:

I'm not a fan of hive top feeders for a few reasons:

1) Burr comb honey mess
2) Pain in the butt to do inspections  if the bees don't empty them
3) Ants have unrestricted access the the syrup

I've tried most of them and gallon friction top cans on top inside an empty deep is my favorite for feeding large quantities quickly.  you can fit multiple in at once if you want.    Otherwise, for nucs and overwintering I have come to like the motherlode feeders.

https://www.motherlodeproducts.com/product-category/beekeeping-supplies/feeders-with-caps-n-ladders/

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:45:35 pm »
Yeah I have a couple of smaller hive top feeders and there?s always a little burr comb when I take them off.

What I?m looking for is rapid feeding for late fall. I want something that can handle four gallons and I definitely don?t want frame feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »
Amymcg, I use those mannlake top feeders. They are handy for short-term high volume feeding imo. Ants can be a problem - got to keep them out for sure. Other than that, I like them.

(Mannlake sent me 3 of these feeders by mistake, 2 yrs ago - when I tried to send them back, mannlake offered to let me keep them for a very low price - I'm glad I did)
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 02:06:32 pm »
Thanks @coolbees

Do you ever have any issues with the bees getting past the ladders and into the syrup at all?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »
Do you ever have any issues with the bees getting past the ladders and into the syrup at all?

Yes, at first. I learned to tuck the screens in tightly on the ends. That took care of it. I've had good luck with them. The worst thing now is when I open the lid, and bees fly into the syrup.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 09:43:30 am »
What I?m looking for is rapid feeding for late fall. I want something that can handle four gallons and I definitely don?t want frame feeders.

Thats when I go to the inverted metal paint cans right on the top bars.   You can fit up to 5 in an empty deep.   I find them easier to work with and the bees can consume the feed 24/7 even if the nights are cold.  No ants and no drowning.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 07:55:01 pm »
I was given one last year but haven't tried it yet. Still have some of the in hive frame sized feeders without the screening but never had any luck with them because all they seemed to do was drown the bees when refilled.
  Most of the time I use a quart mason jar over the hand hold in the inner cover, not very fast but works fine for my needs.

anything