Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Cane  (Read 24413 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Sugar Cane
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »
i didn't know grady worked in ellerslie.  i remember leo being there.
yeah, ray freeman is his name.  he's up in his 80's and he's a talker.  i'l probably buy a cane mill from him next year if mine does any good.
did you get much honey this year?  i did pretty good in the spring but they didn't make anything off of the goldenrod over this way this year. 

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 10:32:30 pm »
Grady didn't transfer to ellerslie but he was in and out of there on a regular basis one summer.  Maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Ray Freeman sounds right.  I had called about some cane in january and he said to call back the first of march when he would uncover his beds.  When I called the first of march he said that the cane froze and wasn't any good.  So I found a  guy in Moultrie.

I did have two supers that I could have robbed but I had used the checkmite strips in the beetle traps so I couldn't take the honey.  Was Still learning how to handle shb.   I think I've got shb taken care of now.

Bellcow

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 10:49:55 am »
i didn't do anything for the beetles this year.  strong hives seem to solve that problem.  the only thing i've ever done for mites is forced brood breaks.

ray showed me a bed he says he has gotten 4000 stalks a year out of for ten years that only put out 1000 this year.

Offline bellcow

• New Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 10:49:19 pm »
I have gone to oil trays under the hives now.  Seems to work good.  From what I've learned from a few others in the area my shb problem may have been minimal.   If there is such a thing with shb.  I only killed 2 beetles at the most in hives that had them when I would do an inspection.  I was talking to a friend that said he killed 100 in his hive during an inspection.   I didn't see any during my last inspection.   

Bellcow

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2014, 06:19:16 am »
What I've been hearing around here is that the SHB weren't really a big problem this year. This is my second summer keeping bees so I really don't have a lot to compare to. However, since I put oil pans under my hives I have a lot less shb's than before.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.