Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees reaction to new queen question  (Read 848 times)

Offline Brigsy

• New Bee
Bees reaction to new queen question
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:05:10 am »
Hello all,

I had an elderly failing queen in one colony. I purchased a new season queen to try some new genetics in my apiary. I removed the old queen and introduced the new in an introduction cage between frames last weekend. I checked she had been released midweek.

First proper check yesterday. No eggs and the bees were sounding irritated. You know, that slightly higher hum.

On one frame I found quite a number of bees Nasanov fanning on the edge of a frame. Hiding in there was the new queen. When discovered and making a run for it, one bee tried to sting her.

I suspect they are not impressed with this new addition. I have closed up and left them be. If they kill her they will be hopelessly queen less.

I would have thought they would have killed her by now if they didn't want her? Does the fanning indicate acceptance though?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Brigsy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees reaction to new queen question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 05:14:35 am »
Brigsy,
It sounds like queen is a virgin. If so I would contact the seller for a new one. If they do not replace her, she needs to be left alone for 2 weeks to give her a chance to mate to prove herself as a good producer.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Brigsy

• New Bee
Re: Bees reaction to new queen question
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:24:55 am »
Hmmm, very interesting. She certainly has the look of a virgin ie fleet of foot and slim. She's knackered if that's the case,  as she arrived clipped.

Many thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk