Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large cell, what to do?  (Read 860 times)

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
Large cell, what to do?
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »
My original hive came with large cell plastic sheet foundation.  All my subsequent purchases have been small cell (4.9) in either wax or plastic.  Surprisingly my ladies seem to prefer the plastic.  I want to change over completely to the small cell.

My question is, can I keep this for honey supers or should I try to get rid of it?  About half is still new and could be sold as such.  When I got my first hive I wanted some drawn comb so I could get rid of the rest that way.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Large cell, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:23:07 pm »
You could save them and use them in the honey super. Large cells are normally used for drone brood and/or honey.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
Re: Large cell, what to do?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:04:44 am »
I find that they draw small cell out to fit their needs. I've been running SC plastic frames for decades. They will make it into drone comb if that's what they want. Most of it gets drawn out as small cell. I wouldn't sweat the large cell too much - use it where you need it or sell it.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

anything