Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multiple eggs in the cells: New queens in new hives  (Read 926 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Multiple eggs in the cells: New queens in new hives
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:23:56 am »
Friends, I've found this same situation repeated in numerous hives this season:

New queens that came with new packages and placed in new hives with no previously drawn comb are laying MULTIPLE (and I mean more than two...maybe 10 or more) eggs in the cells. These are not laying-worker hives...the queens are present.

What the heck is up with that? And shall I let them go like this for a while, or is this a bad sign overall? Shall I replace the queens? Unfortunately, these are in new bee yards with two new hives, so I don't have the benefit of ample open brood to borrow in order to buy time.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Multiple eggs in the cells: New queens in new hives
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:58:08 am »
Liz,
Are the eggs in the bottom of the cells or are they on the sides of the cells. My bet is that they are mostly on the walls.
You did not mention if you had any brood and how long. Do you have capped worker brood that was laid by these queens. I would recommend you inspect and see if it is all capped drone cells, they look like the top of a bullet as compared to worker cells are almost flat.
My bet is that you have an un mated queens and you have lots of laying workers. If so contact the seller and get the nucs replaced. Notice I did not say replace the queens. It is probably too late for these hives to survive.
Sorry for the bad news. This is what happened to my first hive. The queen had deformed wing virus and could never have flown. The seller replaced it with a full hive that had swarmed and it was the best hive that I have ever had.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Multiple eggs in the cells: New queens in new hives
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:01:06 pm »
Liz, what is the supplier willing to do?  Find that out first.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it