Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: leftover bees  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
leftover bees
« on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:41 pm »
What do you do with the leftover bees from a swarm?

So I shake a swarm into a box.  There are scouts and flyers left behind, and due to distance or business I can't sit there for hours to make sure they all go in.

Now there's a fist size clump of bees left over, who quickly get disoriented, frustrated, and somewhat aggressive because they can't find their posse.  What if it is in a high traffic area, part of a business or on a school playground.  The bees bang into bystanders because they are flying big circles.

How long will they stay before they leave?  Do you just have somebody spray them after you leave?

:?
Rick
Rick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: leftover bees
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »
I had to leave a small handful of bees behind when I caught a swarm last month. It was getting dark and I tried to shake them into another box, and I did get most of them, but still a few of them would not go in. 

I know it is very helpful if you do go just before dark from what I have read here, and I also heard they will disperse and find their way into other hives.

Lets see what others will say

Annette

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »
Scads,  I have been fortunate enough to be able to leave a Nuc at most scenes to allow the stragglers to come in after dark.  Like Annette said, there is always a handful left.  I have swept them into another box as well.  A couple of times I had to leave a few, the next day they were gone I assume to other hives.  Not much help am I....

David

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:51 pm »
Yeah, I've had to do similar so far.

Last year I picked up a swarm in a school playground early in the morning.  I got a call a few hours later saying there were still bees there and they were aggressive, and I checked it out, and there was still a fist-sized knot of bees and they were looping in big circles and banging into people.  Nobody got stung but who wants crazy bees on the playground?  I ended up killing the remainder.

I'm concerned about it because I got two calls today from businesses, one a huge glass hotel downtown and one a restaurant, neither is an option right now of leaving a nuc behind, and there are a lot of people passing by (I'm assuming). (I'm not getting either swarm, but I will probably face the issue sooner)

Rick
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:23 pm »
i wait and keep after that clump.  they eventually get the idea that the queen is gone.  when i have gotten the main bunch i set the box a few feet away and watch.  3 or 4 times i'll need to go back and bush the reforming clump into the box.  it usually take 30+ minuets before they get the idea that the queen is no longer there.  when they begin to settle into the box, i close most of the box up.  usually i get all but a few stragglers and scout bees.  so far, i have not been able to leave the box.

yes...a vac would be easier!

a bee brush is helpful.  also a dust pan sometimes helps.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:17:14 pm »
Once the bees are fanning and the stragglers moving into the hive, I brush or shake the remaining bees off and cover the limb or building, ETC. with bee-quick. It puts all of them in flight and they will then go to the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:24:13 pm »
So I shake a swarm into a box.  There are scouts and flyers left behind, and due to distance or business I

That's exactly the reason I use a bee vac.  When you shake them in a box, you get a large amount in the air.  With the bee vac,  I just suck the cluster and go.

Listen to the podcast from last Thursday and Steve (Asprince) talks about his method.  He has done over 200 swarms this year and doesn't have the time to wait around either.

rob..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison