Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My BeeKeeping plan for 2020.  (Read 5745 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: My BeeKeeping plan for 2020.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 07:40:48 pm »
Great plan.  Always good to have a plan.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 08:20:13 am »
>Sounds like genetics I would like to get my hands on.

I'm sure a lot of it is that Smith would limit the area a queen could lay when he was grafting from her and a queen generally lasts as long as she doesn't run out of sperm.  A queen laying flat out year after year usually doesn't make it past 3 and sometimes doesn't it make much past 2.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 10:04:49 am »
Oh that makes sense, usually a queen swarms when she is out of laying space, so her wings were clipping preventing swarming.  Thanks for clarification, Bush.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »
I will be trying Nemotodes from here[/url] to help control the SHB..  Anyone else have any experience with them?

Nope. ... I've learned that my area has a lot.of SHB"s (more than I knew about). I haven't [yet] had much of a problem with them. From what I've read, it may be due to the chickens that we raise. We keep between 40-70 laying hens, and turn them loose most days. People say they target the SHB larvae. Neither chickens, nor nematodes, will accout for beetles coming from from other areas though. ... just some thoughts ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 09:33:27 pm »
Cool, thee are many advantages to having chickens and honeybees.  A good combo to me.  Unfortunately my subdivision does not allow chickens.  Otherwise I would have some.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »
Cool, thee are many advantages to having chickens and honeybees.  A good combo to me.  Unfortunately my subdivision does not allow chickens.  Otherwise I would have some.
Van

I'm sorry to hear that Van. Chickens are handy critters to have around.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
I'm also going to be using Nemotodes from here to help control the SHB..  Anyone else have any experience with them?

I put some nematodes down when SHBs were increasing.  There was an almost immediate and profound decrease in the pest.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:25 pm »
I'm also going to be using Nemotodes from here to help control the SHB..  Anyone else have any experience with them?

I put some nematodes down when SHBs were increasing.  There was an almost immediate and profound decrease in the pest.

That's very reassuring to hear. If I can limit the SHB this year that would be make my life much better.. :)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 10:57:30 pm »
I plan to move my hives up here to the house so my chickens can work them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »
"In Indiana we had a queen we named Alice which lived to the ripe old age of eight years and two months and did excellent work in her seventh year. There can be no doubt about the authenticity of this statement. We sold her to John Chapel of Oakland City, Indiana, and she was the only queen in his yard with wings clipped. This, however is a rare exception. At the time I was experimenting with artificial combs with wooden cells in which the queen laid."--Jay Smith, Better Queens original edition pg 18

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm#Queen%20Alice

Thank you Sir.  Clipped wings is certainly an identifier.  Alice?  Ok, begs the question, how did the name originate.  Eight years is a new record to me.  Eight years and 2 months to be exact.  Sounds like genetics I would like to get my hands on.  How much money did Alice sell for?  I am guessing $30,  the fella got a good deal on that queen.  He certainly took good care of Alice.  Good story Mr. Bush, thank you, no doubt Alice was a Republican.  Ok I threw that in to see is Ace is reading.  We will find out soon enough.

Blessings

There were some interesting things brought up on this topic. I have read where some beekeepers replace their queens every two years. I suppose in Commercial beekeeping, nothing can be left to chance..... I still have a couple queens marked red which are still hard at it, producing good solid brood patterns. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 09:07:22 pm »
Ben,
According to some commercial beekeepers that I have talked to, they replace their queens every six months. Some of that is due to keeping their bees down south and keeping the Africanized Bees out of their hives.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »
Ben,
According to some commercial beekeepers that I have talked to, they replace their queens every six months. Some of that is due to keeping their bees down south and keeping the Africanized Bees out of their hives.
Jim Altmiller

>Some of that is due to keeping their bees down south and keeping the Africanized Bees out of their hives.

Makes sense.....
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2021, 01:50:21 am »

Nope. ... I've learned that my area has a lot.of SHB"s (more than I knew about). I haven't [yet] had much of a problem with them. From what I've read, it may be due to the chickens that we raise. We keep between 40-70 laying hens, and turn them loose most days. People say they target the SHB larvae.

I've been wanting to get chickens..... One more reason!!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 05:25:23 pm »
"Plans are neither successful nor unsuccessful until they are executed.  And a successful execution of a plan is more important than the plan itself. I was trained to expect the plan to need revision at the moment execution starts."--Colin Powel, "It worked for me."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything