Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oops, newbie didn't check the hive for three weeks...  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Steampunked

• New Bee
Oops, newbie didn't check the hive for three weeks...
« on: March 06, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »
Eek.  Embarrassing.   :embarassed:

And they were trying to build out of the entrance, too.  And in every tiny part near the quilt.  And...wherever else they could shove a comb.  Oh well, I got another box on, at least.  Now I better make another one tonight - and maybe another.  Everyone here locally told me there was no way they'd expand past two or three boxes in the first year, but no one else locally has Warre hives either and told me it would be too hard.

All but two combs in the hive are removeable, at least.  I cracked all three boxes to check for problems because I saw a few small hive beetle.  (Saw three SHB during the whole inspection and used chux wipes at the time because I had them on hand 'just in case'.)

I've drowned a few bees in honey now though  :oops:
Kept by a tiny miniature suburban farm by chickens, parrots, a wallaby, a 3.5 year old and my partner.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Oops, newbie didn't check the hive for three weeks...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:05:11 pm »
Looks like your bees are doing real well. Who told you you have to tear your hive apart every week. I do lift the back to see how heavy they are but I only take them apart when I see a reason to.
As you have seen, the less you bother them, the better they produce.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Steampunked

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:10:52 am »
Looks like your bees are doing real well. Who told you you have to tear your hive apart every week. I do lift the back to see how heavy they are but I only take them apart when I see a reason to.
As you have seen, the less you bother them, the better they produce.
Jim

Heh, the beekeeping lesson I went to!  But like I said, no one around here keeps bees in a Warre hive - we decided to because it meant we could make our own components easily.  The guy who installed the package for me was convinced I'd be doomed shortly because I only have half-frames, and didn't believe me when I said that most Warre folks would only have a bar above.  He managed to argue me into putting an empty box beneath which of course needed to be cracked later to put frames in.  I'm kind of in the awkward position of having zero experience but having to not do what the locals recommend...I'm sure they think I'm arrogant.

I admit I can't lift to check easily - the hive has just reached the point where it's heavier than I am.  I probably should have made a Kenyan, but oh well.
Kept by a tiny miniature suburban farm by chickens, parrots, a wallaby, a 3.5 year old and my partner.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:56:11 pm »
You are doing better than most new beekeepers.
When I say I lift the hives, I am only lifting half of the weight. This is especially important to know if they have enough stores before winter or before a dearth, no flowers.
I leave about 1" hanging over the back of the back support so that I can get my finger tips under the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:42:45 pm »
I would love for my bees to build comb like that. Mine are quite stingey

Offline Steampunked

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:56:29 am »
Ah!  Then I'll have a try this weekend, since I know they have (roughly) a football shaped container of brood and two full boxes of honey.  Then I'll be able to tell what else they're doing with that at the base.  Thankyou!

Yeah, I lucked out on the bees.  Wild caught swarm and docile.  I've only been stung twice and that was after considerable intervention.