Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Beek from Hawaii  (Read 1513 times)

Offline shoshannama

• New Bee
Top Bar Beek from Hawaii
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:25:20 am »
I am a first year beek, and am lucky that my mentor is my neighbor with an apiary and we trade helping one another.  I used to have severe, though not allergic reactions to honeybee stings which kept me away for many more years than it needed to, as I have found my immunity built up nicely and stings are manageable now.  Although I am already a passionate gardener, orchardist, permaculturist living as sustainably as possible and on solar power, I never imagined beekeeping would be the passion that it has become.  I am happy to already have noticed increased fruit production from my trees, as the wild bees on the islands suffered a serious setback when the small hive beetle moved in some years ago. 

Hawaii is a beekeepers dream- no winter and flowers year round, though it's also a hive beetles dream- we've had to devise clever ways to keep those critters down, as everyone I know is treatment free.  I am happy to report that none of my hives have beetles, and the genetics of our bees are the ones who have built up their defenses the best.

I want to learn all I can wherever I can, and an island has it's limits.  I will be traveling in my little Toyota RV in northern California and Oregon this summer and would love to volunteer help at organic apiaries, large or small. Please contact me if you or anyone you know could use a hand in the coming months.

I'm grateful for the awesome information that is shared here, even though having no Langstroths, nor much knowledge about them even though they are obviously the norm. I like to read it all, even though there is the top bar category.

Shanna Rose
Kapoho,
Hawaii

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Top Bar Beek from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:53:46 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I guess we don't have to warn you how addictive this hobbie is.
Sounds like you are doing real well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:53 am »
Welcome to Beemaster!

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:27:35 am »
Welcome to the forum!