Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Up To date Inforation  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Observer

• Brood
Up To date Inforation
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:26:20 pm »
Hello, I use to live in a big city and read about the bee population declining around 2006 and was concerned.  In 2008 I moved to northern Wisconsin and now the wife told me that there are no bees in her 50' X50' garden.  So today I walked into a field next to it that is full of flowers and alfalfa to look around, only found one bee that looked like a honey bee, but about 1/3rd the size.  When I moved here there were tons of huge bumble bees and some honey bees, now it seems they are gone...  There are no farms close.  Back in the 70's I use to work at a crop dusting business and was concerned about the implications right from the start.  Now it seems alarming and I'm wondering where to find some real information on the subject.  I Googled around and all seems to stop at 2005. My wife and I are allergic to them, but how could we help?  Can one just buy them and Utube how to keep them? & would that even help?  As in would they just die also?  Have any really informative threads for novices?  I watched a show about how the Chinese are already pollinating by hand and sure gave me the feeling the end is nigh and now this !  The graphs I found where 1945-2005 where is the 2005-20014?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Up To date Inforation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »
They may bee being suppressed by the big chemical companies. Systemic poisons are getting to be common for treating lawns and plants that are sold to home owners.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Up To date Inforation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Observer.  There is lot of info here to help bee a better beekeeper.  Some people are to allergic to keep bees safely.  I will swell and stay that way for a day or two, but I love working with the bees.  I saw the same video of the Chinese pollinating.  In my own garden back a few years ago I had noticed there where no honey bees.  then one year there were some, so I followed them to the hollow tree they were in.  Before summer was over they were gone.  I found my local bee club and started going to the monthly meeting.  After about a year I got some bees, and have had some ever since.  I usually get stung from 1 to 5 times a year. I started with three hives and normally have five to seven hives, plenty for a hobbyist.  You know if you can or can not mess with bees.  You can look up your local bee club and see what they may have you can do to help the bees.  If nothing else someone there may want to put a few hives out there near the alfalfa and other flowers.  Good luck     There are some bees that are fairly gentle.

Joe

anything