Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boardman feeders  (Read 2608 times)

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
Boardman feeders
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:24:20 am »
Soooo. . . I'm pretty darn new at this, but used them last year and this year alike. . . I cut my entrance reducer down to accomodate the feeder and the reduced entrance at the same time.  Never really had any problems with robbing, at least that I know of.

I guess my question is, after reading the many posts here, is there anyone out there who actualy likes these things besides me?  I refuse to believe that there is a topic that beekeepers so readily agree upon in such large numbers!?!?!?!?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Boardman feeders
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:29:14 am »
I guess my question is, after reading the many posts here, is there anyone out there who actualy likes these things besides me? 

As I read this, and glance over at your avatar, it brings tears to my eyes... ;) It's just like hearing Charlie Brown say it standing out on that feild all alone.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:42:03 am »
I will say if I used one with only one colony. If I had no other colonies, Then I couldn't say one way or the other. Unless there are wild/feral colonies in the area.
I have tried the Front/ board man feeders.
As long as I had one on every colony and kept them filled. Is the only time I didn't have a problem.

Some Bee keepers don't like the idea of drilling holes in the top covers.
With this method, make sure and not use plastic bottles.
I use quart jars for the on top feeding method.
Invert the jar over a pail before placing it on/in the hole.
If the holes are drilled properly this system/method works good.

But I got away from that and use the inside feeders where you put the feeder in a frame slot.
Just take the outside frame out,(it's the last one they use anyhow) on either side that suits you.
When feeding is over simply take the feeder out and put the/a frame back in. nothing to it. :)doak

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 08:27:49 am »
Jennifer Berry says that at the UGA bee lab, they feed pretty much exclusively with baggie feeders - put a ziploc filled with sugar syrup flat on top of the frames, surround the baggie with a shim or an empty box, cut a slit in the top of the filled baggie and close up the hive.

The only disadvantage is the environmental one of not being able to reuse the baggie, thus contributing to the growing pile of plastic waste in the world.  (And if the baggie is not flat on the tops of the frames, bees can get in and drown).

Linda T in Atlanta (who doesn't follow Jennifer's wise advice all the time and sometimes uses Boardman's to her deep regret!)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:12 am »
I guess my question is, after reading the many posts here, is there anyone out there who actualy likes these things besides me?  I refuse to believe that there is a topic that beekeepers so readily agree upon in such large numbers!?!?!?!?

I LOVE THEM :-*

They make great door stops. :devilbanana:

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:42:14 am »
Boardman Feeders, I believe are like most everything !

A little knowledge and experience help.

To reduce the bee robbing factor this may help:
Set the feeder on the center of the bottom board, cut two boards to place on each side of the feeder leaving about a 1/2 in. opening at each end of the hive.

This way the bees have only 2 small 1/2 in. openings to defend at each end, also the robbers have to enter at the ends and go inside the hive and across to the center to get to the feeder !

This is old info. from a book published I believe about 1915 !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »
We use them, but only in side the hive, in an empty deep over an inner cover and in Long or TBHs.  .  They cost us to much to throw away.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 02:36:23 pm »
Lets see if it works.
Two different sizes

doak

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 02:41:45 pm »
The one in front was open all the way on top.
I cut two slats and took wire from a "cricket" cage to fix it.
It is for two frame spaces.
The one behind came like it is One frame space.
I prefer the narrow one.they come in deep and medium.
deep holds a little more than 2 ltr.
no board man for me.
doak

anything