Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what is everyone seeing?  (Read 23297 times)

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
Re: what is everyone seeing?
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:04 am »
Also saw eggs in queen cups in one.  Have to go back as soon as I can to check that one.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:10 pm »
Observation hive now has capped drone brood. No adult drones in the hive. Have not seen any sign of queen cells. They look like they are getting ready to swarm. During warm weather they are starting to beard outside of the hive and are very runny on the comb.
I saw a couple of drones in my out door hives. They are very full.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 12:09:02 am »
i've seen several flocks of robins, a bluebird and geese flying north.  red maples are blooming from macon to columbus and trees are budding.  winter might be getting ready to wind down in a couple of weeks. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:32 am »
Dang cold weather and rain......
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:22 pm »
Sleet yesterday, snow this morning.  Where's spring?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
No snow here in Central Arkansas today but it's colder'n who thought it.
It's suppose to be cold for the next couple of days then warm up into the 50's Sunday and next week.
Hoping this is the last bout of winter.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »
Don't count on it.

Warmed up to 52 this afternoon, but I'm not seeing my bees.  Have my fingers crossed.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 09:35:39 pm »
Ditto on the robins, been seeing a ton of them in Montgomery this week. Also blackbirds are flocking around here.

I've notice squirrels chasing each other (mating ritual) making their little noises as they run around the trunk of the trees. For a couple of weeks the eastern blue birds have been vocal as well. The American gold finches are just now piling up on my thistle sock feeders. Those finches will be here until around the 1st of May. That's about the time they turn yellow - then leave. We literally have hundreds.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:46 pm »
rabbit trailing -

I've see the weather forecasters miss it by a mile twice in the last week. One day the high was to be 49 with a low of 38 that night. At dark that day the temp finally reached 34. It did warm up after midnight though

It was supposed to be in the 40's or near 50 today. Again I'm not sure it got out of the 30's.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2015, 01:19:58 am »
8 inches of snow on my front porch at 5 am. Again! Man I'm ready for spring. Looks....... like it may be turning the corner next week................ of course I said that a couple weeks ago............ G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:17 am »
8 inches of snow on my front porch at 5 am. Again! Man I'm ready for spring. Looks....... like it may be turning the corner next week................ of course I said that a couple weeks ago............ G

LOL, I keep doing the same thing...   Got drifts around the hives atm....   Getting impatient
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 10:58:12 am »
Spotted some drones during my last inspection of one big hive and some bearding on the front on the last warm day. The hive is a split from last year and the queen isn't a year old yet and the hive is cranking. Need to really break up the hive by spliting it into two and start a 5 frame nuc from it to slow down any swarming coming my way.  Warm weather is called for starting Monday so it is time to crack open the hives and make early splits. Can't get queens right now so I'm just going to let the girls make thier own and requeen later in the season if needed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »
If the weather is nice this Sunday, I plan on going into my hives and look for queen cells. If I find them, and we have swarms being reported, I will be making splits. I I do don't find them and the hives are still strong I will make a queenless nuc with lots of bees. I will also give them empty drawn frames to slow down the swarming until I can make the splits.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:54 pm »
Best of luck to you Jim. I'm going to check on the smaller clusters Sunday myself. Hope they are still kicking. Spring is coming 2 weeks. G

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »
Spring is coming 2 weeks.

You keep saying that.  :happy:  I'm looking at 1 week before the forecast starts heading up for the next month and beyond...

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:14 pm »
Spring is coming 2 weeks.

You keep saying that.  :happy:  I'm looking at 1 week before the forecast starts heading up for the next month and beyond...

I dont remember where it was, but maybe the Wizard of Oz, someone said if you close your eyes and say something over and over it will come true............ " Theres no place like home" = "Come the hell on Spring!"  :wink: G

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2015, 10:40:39 pm »
West Kentucky has been horrible during February.  Lows at -15 below zero F and almost a foot of snow.  All kinds of record lows this month for our area.  I haven't been able to check on my girls for weeks now!!!   Extended forecast only shows 1 day through the first week of March that will be above 50 degrees so I can feed either patties or syrup.    COME ON SPRING!!!
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2015, 11:58:52 pm »
EVERYBODY: COME ON SPRING!

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2015, 03:07:55 am »
Big G, I just noticed something funny, all summer, you chop wood, all winter you smile and wink.  What's up with that?   :grin:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2015, 04:11:19 am »
Spring doesn't come to New England until marathon Monday. :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/